Turkey egg candling day 4

The bunch of you are worse than a bunch of KIDS cant wait till Christmas day to see whats in side.
And I am just as bad you are
lau.gif
jumpy.gif

Hahahaha!! I'm super excited. I put turkey eggs in the bator on the 4th and candled them and they are developing. This is my first batch I've ever hatched.
wee.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I can not wait

I wish I knew how to candle. I have tried but I guess my flashlight isn't strong enough. I use the "waiting" method. I just wait to see what hatches.
hmm.png
I use the led light on my phone to candle, I just downloaded a 'flashlight' app, go into a dark room, and set the egg on the light. works great for me
lol.png
This is a day four silkie. No turkey eggs for me yet, all I have now is two toms.
roll.png

kuntrygirl-- because turkey eggs are white, or all the ones I have seen so far are white based, the ability to see thru them is better than chicken eggs. Try a different flashlight, well worth the look-see.

it has been extremely cold here in Mass this year. If I miss a chicken egg it is a popsicle the next day. . Sad to see cracked eggs. :( but I'm happy to give them to the dog :).

How much light for turkeys to get laying going??Same as chickens??

I agree with the L E D flash light you can get a small one with 6 to 8 L E D lights that are really bright for about $5 to $6 Dollors and use it in a very dark room.
I have only done this with Chicken eggs I also used a bread Crumb can and I wired in a lamp repair kit I bought at LOWS for about $6 and then cut a hole in the metal end of the can the size of a quarter to hold the egg up to both works well but the L E D light does not heat up.

Last edited:
A Pringles can works good too and the inside surface is silver, so it is also reflective of light.
cool.png
The room has to be very dark for me to candle eggs. White eggs are easy, but dark brown, blue and greens are hard. My turkeys lay a cream colored sprinkled with darker specks. Some are almost brown and heavily sprinkled. Add the fact that the shells are much thicker than chicken eggs(Heavy hens could crush thin egg shells)and it is obvious that they would be harder to candle. I use a small 9 LED light with good strong batteries and have trouble most of the time!
idunno.gif

'im just learning as well,an was wondering i have been keeping a few eggs in my basement where its about 62,to 65 deg,i turn them three times daily an don't handle them much except to turn,question is does one start to candle 14 days after incubation or 14 days after hatch,to see whats going on in the egg,

Back
Top Bottom