Turkey eggs

foxracingchvy

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2023
So I have tried to do my research as this is the first time I’ve owned a bbw Turkey. She has just started laying. Have gotten three so far. Some things I’ve read say they lay consistently throughout the year two to three eggs a week. Some say that they lay a clutch once a year. Can anyone clarify for me?

So I have tried to do my research as this is the first time I’ve owned a bbw Turkey. She has just started laying. Have gotten three so far. Some things I’ve read say they lay consistently throughout the year two to three eggs a week. Some say that they lay a clutch once a year. Can anyone clarify for me?
My BBW were seasonal layers just like my heritage hens. They laid from the middle of March until late October unless they were allowed to go broody.

Some laid every other day, others laid 2 days in a row before skipping a day while others laid 3 days in a row.

I thought bbw turkeys were meat turkeys? How do u keep them alive for so long?
I have one that hatched 10/03/22 which has been laying for a month. She also thinks she's a chicken since she was raised with chicks, so she still wants to go into their coop at night even though she's too big to fit through the door.

I let my first-ever turkey, a broad breasted bronze, live for 15 months because I was unsure of my giant bird processing abilities. He was huge and free ranged with the chickens. I finally took action because he started beating the holy hell out of the roosters and trying to breed the hens, ended up crushing a hen to death. So, I ended up with 25+ pounds of ground turkey meat in the freezer and a new confidence in my processing capabilities.
IMG_20230320_201501594.jpg

I have one that hatched 10/03/22 which has been laying for a month. She also thinks she's a chicken since she was raised with chicks, so she still wants to go into their coop at night even though she's too big to fit through the door.

I let my first-ever turkey, a broad breasted bronze, live for 15 months because I was unsure of my giant bird processing abilities. He was huge and free ranged with the chickens. I finally took action because he started beating the holy hell out of the roosters and trying to breed the hens, ended up crushing a hen to death. So, I ended up with 25+ pounds of ground turkey meat in the freezer and a new confidence in my processing capabilities.
View attachment 3460910
Oh wow! That's nuts. I too am raising mine with the chickens 🙄 but I don't know if their Tom's or what yet. 3 weeks old no strutting so maybe all girls!

Back
Top Bottom