Turkey fight.. I think..

Aug 31, 2019
Hughes Wildlife Farm, MA
Openned the coop this morning... My 2 Toms all fluffed up, as usual, one started grabbing at the other, not releasing, and causing bleeding on his head, face, and snoot.
His brother finally started to fight back. They locked onto each other and scuffled into another run I have. So I seperated them for about 30mins. But he waited outside the gate for his brother to come out.

How long is a good time to seperate if they act up, or should I just not seperate them and let them get it out of their system.. Both are 5months old 40lbs Toms of the same litter. Raised by me since hatching age. No changes have come to their surrounding in the past few months. I have never seen them act this way, but I knew it would come eventually. They live/raised with 15 hens. They sleep in the run and roost on logs with the hens everynight. (For the summer hole the nights are hot)
I had to rush to work, so I am hoping when I get home, I'm not walking into a blood bath. I was kindda thinking I shouldve put water n food in the seperate run and just keep them seperated.. Ugh

Both are 5 months old 40lbs Toms
umm 40lbs at 5 months they must be BB jakes... my heritage jakes are less than 20 lbs at 5 months
they will fight until one is dominate, separating them for a while makes it worse.
let them fight it out or remove one permanently

Both are 5months old 40lbs Toms of the same litter.
No heritage style or similar turkey is going to get to 40lbs and especially not by 5 months. They've got to be BB turkeys ( "meat type"). Also just let them Duke it out and establish their dominance. If you seperate them it just prolongs it

Last edited:
Opened the coop this morning... My 2 Toms all fluffed up, as usual, one started grabbing at the other, not releasing, and causing bleeding on his head, face, and snoot.
His brother finally started to fight back. They locked onto each other and scuffled into another run I have. So I separated them for about 30mins. But he waited outside the gate for his brother to come out.

How long is a good time to separate if they act up, or should I just not separate them and let them get it out of their system.. Both are 5months old 40lbs Toms of the same litter. Raised by me since hatching age. No changes have come to their surrounding in the past few months. I have never seen them act this way, but I knew it would come eventually. They live/raised with 15 hens. They sleep in the run and roost on logs with the hens every night. (For the summer hole the nights are hot)
I had to rush to work, so I am hoping when I get home, I'm not walking into a blood bath. I was kindda thinking I should've put water n food in the separate run and just keep them separated.. Ugh
Just normal dominance fighting to see who is the top tom. As the others have pointed out, if your toms weigh 40 lbs. each at 5 months old, they are Broad Breasted Bronze toms and were developed for food and a short life span.

When you say that they are in with 15 hens, I am guessing that you mean that they are in with 15 chicken hens. If this is the case, you have a recipe for disaster. You need to separate those toms from your chicken hens before they start killing the hens. Once their hormones are going strong enough, they will start trying to breed the hens and that will not work out well for the chickens.

Last edited:
So i rechecked their hatch date, and it was the end of March. But it's hard for me to pick them up, well close to the weight of a 40lb bag of feed.
So i did check the the retailer and he assured me they dont order BB Turkey's.
So my fear of everyone saying theie weight is a cause for concern at 6mo old now...makes me wonder if there was a mix up in ordering at the retail end..
How to determine if they are BB or not????

So i rechecked their hatch date, and it was the end of March. But it's hard for me to pick them up, well close to the weight of a 40lb bag of feed.
So i did check the the retailer and he assured me they dont order BB Turkey's.
So my fear of everyone saying their weight is a cause for concern at 6mo old now...makes me wonder if there was a mix up in ordering at the retail end..
How to determine if they are BB or not????
So they are nearly 6 months old. If you have a bathroom scale, stand on it while holding one of the turkeys. Subtract your weight from the result and you will know what its live weight is. If it weighs any where near 40 lbs., it is a BB. Twenty lbs. live weight for a heritage tom at 6 months old is a lot but not impossible. Thirty lbs. live weight for a mature 18 month old heritage tom is a big tom.

Screenshot_2019-09-06-22-11-01.png

They have been great with the girls (hens, chickens).. I did weigh them at over 40lbs each.. As much as I don't mind raising meat birds, I never wouldve thought there could be such a mix up on my boys, leading to me having to use them as meat now.. Just ugh

Back
Top Bottom