Turkey Head injury possible not sure

cicipitcher7

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
Today while my free range turkey hen was in the barn one of my roosters decided to attack her and my husband ran over there to stop it he took a wooden dowel that was beside him and tried to break it up and he got the rooster off but hit her in the head not super hard at all on accident to and not meaning to get her while getting the rooster off and she start flapping around and I thought it broke her neck the way she was acting. Then she finally stopped flapping around and just sat there heavy mouth breathing for a super long time. She is usually active and moves around a lot and loves snacks well my husband had to carry her and put her in a pin because I didn’t want her to stay out and about after that happened. I’ve been checking on her she has finally stopped mouth breathing and is sleeping but she’s not acting like herself could she have a concussion or something else I’m scared I may lose her does anyone have any advice on what I can give her or something I can do to make sure she’s gonna be okay. It was just a bad situation all around. My husband feels super bad about it and we were both in tears when it happened cause it was an accident and we didn’t want our rooster to hurt her.

I would work on getting the vitamins into her and hydration.

You can syringe or tube fluids into her if need be. Hopefully she'll rally with some fluids.
I'm sorry to hear she's still not too alert:(

Here's how to tube fluids/feed, @Overo Mare has a very good video in the first link below, the second link is about how much and what to use.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-to-tube-severely-molting-hen.1437023/post-23839502
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

This is about syringing fluids or meds if you need that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

We have a rooster, & a Turkey that fights all the time, no more then minor nicks, broken feathers, & cuts ever happen from them Dueling. I think you're Turkey could've handled the situation herself.
Turkeys are tough, birds.
Our rooster has really big spurs and my husband didn’t want him to puncture anything on her or cut her all up. I’m not saying she can’t handle herself cause she is way bigger than him but I guess he was trying to be more safe than sorry and an accident happened but it’s been noted next time if it happens and she makes it that just let them duke it out.

I'm sorry about your Turkey.

I would make sure she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes would be good to give or you can give a small amount of sugar water, then provide plain water afterwards. Once she's drinking and hydrated, then offer her feed.

Poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 can be given as well.

Sounds like she took a hard knock, hopefully she will recover with supportive care and time.
Thank you. When she finally stopped flopping around I did get a syringe and do little drops of water to help her but nothing more cause I just wanted to make sure she wasn’t dying rite then and there. Tomorrow I will try and give her some more things and see if she’s doing better. She usually comes to you by her name and I was saying it after all that happened and it was like she wasn’t hearing me or anything just looking around that’s it.

Spurs can be trimmed to be rounded at the tips, or blunted. Our rooster who fights the Turkey currently needs a spur trimming, yet no serious injury caused to the turkey despite that.
I will be trimming his as soon as possible. Thank you it’s good to know that I’m not the only one who deals with their rooster fighting with their turkey.

Spur trimming is important, especially for the safety of the hens. Occasionally if spurs are to long, they can cut the sides/hips of the hen he's breeding.

They've been doing it since they were young. It began with an accidental kick in the head while two cockerels were tussling. Ever since then, the turkey went after the rooster. Been going on since 2019.
We just let them duke it out, haven't needed to interfere.
Well here lately she’s been fluffing up all big and making sort of a calling noise or just a noise of some sort and I guess it’s because she don’t like him i have no idea but I’ve let them out before and they haven’t fought but today they did it was weird it’s like she despises him in every way

I'm sorry about your Turkey.

I would make sure she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes would be good to give or you can give a small amount of sugar water, then provide plain water afterwards. Once she's drinking and hydrated, then offer her feed.

Poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 can be given as well.

Sounds like she took a hard knock, hopefully she will recover with supportive care and time.
Would rooster booster be good to give her?

Yes, you can give her rooster booster vitamins.

How is she doing?
She’s walking around. I went and rattled the treat bucket and she seemed to be interested in it and I fed her from my hand but usually she gobbles it up quick but this time I was slow and she only took maybe 4 little bites not her usual self then she walked around a little more and sat standing up and went to sleep. Tonight I am clearing a spot in the house to keep a closer eye on her.

Sounds like she's not there yet.
I'd focus on hydration and then see if she'll eat some normal feed or a wet mash of feed.

I prefer Poultry Cell if I have a choice. You can direct oral dose her at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight daily.
She's probably pretty hefty, so that would be a lot of liquid at one time. My birds don't like vitamins added to their food or water, so I end up having to syringe it into them. You never know, your Gal make like them.
So I gave her water through a syringe that was easy and she seem to be taking it fine from that but the mash she didn’t even want it or seem to want it at all. She just seems real sleepy like she moves but not far then closes her eyes and sleep should I just leave her alone a let her try to rest or keep trying with the food? I’m lost cause she has to eat at some point but idk how I’m gonna make that happen

Back
Top Bottom