Turkey hen with swollen eye

Lexievans11990

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
North Georgia
My turkey hen, Pebbles, has a swollen eye this morning. Yesterday morning I swear she was fine when I let her and the others out. However, there was a skunk in the chicken house that we did end up shooting later on in the day. I’m wondering if it did something to her?? She was fine before, but got puny after and is today. Yesterday, she was standing on the perch with her wings drooped and both of her eyes closed. I figured maybe the skunk’s spray was bothering her? It’s now the next day and there is no more skunk spray. Today, she decided to start nesting. She’s on her nest with her right eye closed and it looks a little swelled. I haven’t seen her poop so I’m not sure what it looks like. here’s an image of her below. Her eye was shut but it seems she can open it but you can tell it bothers her. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do that would be amazing. I’ve raised turkeys for years but haven’t encountered a problem like this yet. Thanks so much
B69398E5-88E2-4D83-8FEE-1F7FC8496CC0.jpeg

It's possible she scratched it. You could try some terramycin ophthalmic ointment for a few days, or get something similar from a vet to treat with to see if it helps.

Eyes can sometimes swell for respiratory issues, but you would also see other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom