Turkey Hens And Snakes (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ivan3, May 29, 2012.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Both Schorger, in his The Wild Turkey (its history and domestication), and Klauber, in his Rattlesnakes, recount the observations of those who witnessed toms attacking - and sometimes killing snakes (both nonvenomous/venomous). The anecdotes don't mention hens. Our Slate hen, a few years back chased a 5.5ft. Black Rat Snake directly up a White Oak. However, this same hen, during breeding season, `presented' herself to owner without giving a thought to the 4ft. Black Rat Snake coiled next to her in the weeds (I carried off the snake, then carried the hen back to the run). Day before yesterday I checked the treeline for foxes and entered house for a few minutes. On return this was the scene (the Prairie King Snake was rescued after hen `threw' it - hens seemed proud of themselves - happy dancing with poult): If I had not intervened, I'm pretty confident the girls would have killed it (tom/jakes were satisfied with letting the distaff death squad rule the roost). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Momo1234 and gluglu like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Those girls were conducting a serious 'beat down'.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW !!! Great pics and story!! Love it!!! I better show this to my turkeys so that they can learn from the pros. Good job Turkeys !!!!!! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: