Turkey housing

snowduck

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 5, 2008
Tennessee
Hello everyone
This may have been asked on here already but I couldnt find anything on it. My wife and I are wanting to get about 4-6 Turkeys and I was wondering what size housing and what size pen should we plan on building. She Wants a pair of Burbons and a pair of Palms. They will be mainly pets (like all of our chickens) . I havent seen any coop or pen designs on here for turkeys.
Any Help would be appreciated
Thanks

We have 2 acres and were thinking along the lines of a run like for pheasants or quail. Making the run 10 x 20 and no ideas on the housing part. We would like to let them out of the run daily like we do the chickens and just pen them up at night or if we arent at home for the day.

OK.. they do not need much for housing.. My Royal Palms have a coop, but they prefer to stay outside.. even at minus 20 F..

turkeys also like to roost HIGH..

I have 25 of them and they "decorate" the big pine tree.

If you do make a house for them, make it tight so nothing can get in.
If a critter gets in they cannot escape like they could if they were outside.. make the house tall and the roost in it high. If you leave the rafters exposed, that is where you will find them..

22826_100_0220.jpg

This is Victor's house (Bourben red x) He is getting his wife this week. He occupies half and the chickens have the other half. He has a large branch secured to the wall to perch on.

Turkeys usually always prefer to stay out side. But if have preditors that can take them or a lot of wild turkeys they may go off with. You should use a coop at night, and fly ways during the day.

For 4 to 6, a coop can be about 6 by 8, with a fly way for during the day.

If you have very few preditors, a simple fenced in area can be used.

The bourbons tom's won't roost to high, but the hens can.

Bourbons are foragers, they like to wander around a lot. so if you don't want then wander around a ten acre area then yo have to contain them.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom