Turkey Housing

We do not have weasels here; however, a livestock guardian dog (LGD) will guard against any and all predators. A few years ago over in west Texas a LGD caught a pair of slightly used blue jeans! They never found the fellow taht owned them, but never lost another animal. Learn more about LGDs at http://www.lgd.org

Quote:
Thanks, that site is very informative! I have considered a livestock guardian dock for when I start pasturing birds for production - but am trying to find a breed that is smaller then most (so it won't eat as much) since most predators around here are small anyway.

Quote:
Do they have to be raised from a puppy with all the species they will protect (for example, more then one - sheep, chickens, turkeys), or if they were raised with say Turkeys will all poultry be the same to them? Sorry for hijacking the thread, this'll be my last post on the matter!

Quote:
Do they have to be raised from a puppy with all the species they will protect (for example, more then one - sheep, chickens, turkeys), or if they were raised with say Turkeys will all poultry be the same to them? Sorry for hijacking the thread, this'll be my last post on the matter!

depends on the dog. we've got a friend who sold her dog to a no-poultry home because it bonded with everything BUT the poultry... best bet is raising them with the intended species, but some dogs will generalize just fine.

on fencing, in the high desert CA if you don't have LGDs you have to dig the fencing 2' down into the ground, or skirt on the ground 3' or more. we had coyotes dig under when we did less than that. amazing amount of digging they can do ovenight.

Can't add to the dog questions but as to housing the turkey ... ours shares space with the chickens right now but is getting a mate come spring so will have their own house and yard. Ours too likes to roost on the fence and the patio table as she has access to them. She doesn't seem to mind the rain at all but gets cranky if it rains for too many days in a row and starts pecking at the chickens. She built herself a nest in the chicken house in one corner and always lays in it so we guess she's pretty happy with it.

I thought it putting chickens and turkeys together ran the risk of turkeys getting 'blackhead'. This isn't a concern? I have been thinking of building something for them behind a big container in the pasture where my sheep and cows spend the summer. I do have LGD's that watch over both my sheep and poultry and they are already checking daily on the 4 poults I picked up when they come in to visit, so predators aren't my largest concern...just having a proper place for them. What are their actual requirements? Btw-these 4 will all go to freezer camp. How much we like pastured turkey will decide if we get some sustainable birds or not...

Blackhead is a concern if you have it in your area. The chickens get it from the soil and wild bird droppings. If it isn't a problem where you live it isn't an issue to house them together. Your local county extension agent should be able to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom