Turkey keeps flipping on to his back.

Le Moth

Songster
7 Years
Jun 19, 2015
New Zealand
So a couple weeks ago my 4 year old turkey, Brittany, had foam in the corner of his eyes and without any other symptoms the vet recommended just keeping an eye on him.

IMG_20191117_171802.jpg

I took him in to the vet when he started stumbling, spinning in a circle and flipped on to his back once, the vet gave him antibiotics (Enrofloxacin) for Listeria and after 5 days he still hadn't improved.
He has been slowly getting worse, the foaming eyes accompanied with more frequent circling and losing his balance, falling on his but or side, he was still able to get up.
This time the vet has given him another antibiotic (Doxicyline) believing it to be Mycoplasma, however here in NZ we don't have anything similar to Denagard.

It is now bad enough that he is having episodes lasting roughly 30mins of circling and falling on to his back, even doing so when laying down or if I am holding him in my arms. I got some footage of it, I spend the whole time in his pen helping him right way up again.

(I hope the links work)
It doesn't seem to be helping, he is now breathing with his mouth open during these episodes, afterwards he goes back to normal just having the occasional fall throughout the day. He eats happily, gobbles and struts around but he also sleeps a lot.
I have no idea what to do for him, the vet isn't sure either.
Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong with him? Or can I do anything to help him?

Not having a lot of experience with turkeys, but 20 years in veterinary medicine, that second one looks like what would be a grand mal seizure in other species. The first one looks like neurological issues or petit mal seizure and the gasping after these episodes can be related to the fact that they're exhausting to go through and panting akd disorientation is fairly normal.

Does he gasp when not having had a recent episode? Like he's troubled with breathing as with a respiratory infection?

Hopefully a turkey whisperer has some advice with neurological issues with turkeys. I'm sure it's very difficult for you and him with these episodes.

Has he been exposed to any toxins? Organophosphates, pesitcides/herbicides, petroleum products, heavy metals? With no other real symptoms, sometimes seizures are due toxicity.

Not sure if chelation is a thing in turkeys? To clear toxins. Or potassium bromide (aka KBr) to help the seizures for the moment until a possible cause might be found?

Looking at the titles of the videos the 2nd one is not long after the 1st, yes? So he was leading into a grand mal seizure with the 1st one so you can probably see it coming next time when you witness the discordant flopping around.

Not having a lot of experience with turkeys, but 20 years in veterinary medicine, that second one looks like what would be a grand mal seizure in other species. The first one looks like neurological issues or petit mal seizure and the gasping after these episodes can be related to the fact that they're exhausting to go through and panting akd disorientation is fairly normal.

Does he gasp when not having had a recent episode? Like he's troubled with breathing as with a respiratory infection?

Hopefully a turkey whisperer has some advice with neurological issues with turkeys. I'm sure it's very difficult for you and him with these episodes.

His breathing is fairly normal, just a slight rasping to it.

Has he been exposed to any toxins? Organophosphates, pesitcides/herbicides, petroleum products, heavy metals? With no other real symptoms, sometimes seizures are due toxicity.

Not sure if chelation is a thing in turkeys? To clear toxins. Or potassium bromide (aka KBr) to help the seizures for the moment until a possible cause might be found?

Looking at the titles of the videos the 2nd one is not long after the 1st, yes? So he was leading into a grand mal seizure with the 1st one so you can probably see it coming next time when you witness the discordant flopping around.

He lives in a pen, the one he is in now is temporary incase it was something his companion could catch (he isn't showing any of these symptoms) so he is limited to what he would have exposed to. We don't use pesticides. I'm not sure about heavy metals, we have a very old property there are bits of things everywhere but I keep the pen clear.
I've been having trouble with House Sparrows pooping in their water and I was using bore water from the farm's dam but I stopped a week and a half ago after the first vet visit (using our tank water now)

Back
Top Bottom