Turkey Lockdown! HELP!

I have even made my little giant styrofoam incubator work.
I have lots of incubators. :oops: A Little Giant Incubator that I modified, a Genesis Hovabator, a Brinsea Eco, a RCom 20, RCom King Suro, RCom Suro Eco, and a brand new GQF 1202E Cabinet incubator (Just put eggs into).
I know that turkey eggs do the best incubating on their sides, and I only turn the eggs twice a day at the same time by hand. ( lots of people do it more)

I have lots of incubators. :oops: A Little Giant Incubator that I modified, a Genesis Hovabator, a Brinsea Eco, a RCom 20, RCom King Suro, RCom Suro Eco, and a brand new GQF 1202E Cabinet incubator (Just put eggs into).
I know that turkey eggs do the best incubating on their sides, and I only turn the eggs twice a day at the same time by hand. ( lots of people do it more)
I am wondering if it might be my breeders. If this keeps happening that might be the problem.:th:barnie

Also what percent of protein does your turkey feed have? I was just thinking that could be the entire issue and not the incubator at all. Turkeys need a high protein feed especially when they are laying eggs you want to incubate.
You could give them cat food, or mealworms, or boiled eggs or some other high protein treats for a week or so and then collect the eggs.
Adult turkeys do not need a high protein feed. They do need a quality feed which is why it is better to give them a good all flock or flock raiser feed rather than chicken feed. It can be helpful to provide supplemental vitamins such as Nutridrench or rooster Booster in their water during breeding and laying season but they do not need high protein feed.

Last edited:
Also what percent of protein does your turkey feed have? I was just thinking that could be the entire issue and not the incubator at all. Turkeys need a high protein feed especially when they are laying eggs you want to incubate.
You could give them cat food, or mealworms, or boiled eggs or some other high protein treats for a week or so and then collect the eggs.
Boiled eggs, contrary to popular opinion, are not high protein. They contain the best available protein but it is only about 12% protein. A good quality feed is better than adding any treats.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-in-egg#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

I incubate turkey eggs just fine in the vertical position. My turner turns the eggs every 3 hours. There are studies that have proven that the more often eggs are turned, the better they will do.

I am wondering if it might be my breeders. If this keeps happening that might be the problem.:th:barnie
It definitely can be your flock especially if they are too closely related. Lots of backyard breeders are hatching eggs from turkeys that should not be chosen as breeders and from turkeys that are too closely related.

Back
Top Bottom