Turkey Talk for 2014

Hi all!

Just subscribed to this thread. We are finishing up our second year with turkeys. Usually we have only Narragansetts, but a friend ordered a "barnyard special" form a hatchery, and we pickjed up the 2 BBBs that came with her order. We purcessed them at 6 months....Each weighed 53 pounds live. One dressed out at 42 pounds, the other at 41.4 pounds. The big one was sold for..... ready?.....$150.00! The other sold for $130. Not too bad. Deciding how many to go for next year.

My plan is leaning toward buying poults this year as Auburns and Sweetgrass are hard to find. BUt if I am reading this correctly, Porters is about sold out, at least on the breed -specific choices. Boooooo

http://www.porterturkeys.com/poultorderpage.htm

Could I be wrong??

I think you're right on the sold out of specific birds. Looks like they did some downsizing...
so it looks like I'll be buying birds from the local feed store or hatching shipped eggs. I was hoping to order a few specific birds from Porters.. but didn't want the assortment this time around..

My plan is leaning toward buying poults this year as Auburns and Sweetgrass are hard to find. BUt if I am reading this correctly, Porters is about sold out, at least on the breed -specific choices. Boooooo

http://www.porterturkeys.com/poultorderpage.htm

Could I be wrong??
That is how I read it too. Looks like you can only order assortments now. He must be doing something right to be so far ahead on orders.

Quote:

Quote: Between downsizing and the increased interest in turkeys --

THere is always Sand Hill-- Kevin Porter bought his Auburns from there. Perhpas some of his other stock comes from there. No choice on date of shipment. . but beggers can't be chosers. lol

I do read of other hatcheries that are out there. Maybe we need to compile a list?

Between downsizing and the increased interest in turkeys --

THere is always Sand Hill-- Kevin Porter bought his Auburns from there. Perhpas some of his other stock comes from there. No choice on date of shipment. . but beggers can't be chosers. lol

I do read of other hatcheries that are out there. Maybe we need to compile a list?
Now you went and done it! I had to go look at Sand Hill's site again, and of course poultry math is rearing it's somewhat unattractive head again. So many breeds/varieties, so little willpower......

edited to add: Great idea on the turkey hatchery list. Would love to be able to have a place to go to when you just have to find a particular variety.

Last edited:
well I would like to suggest royal palm if you want to have around 20lb turkey. We raised two toms and a hen this year and the toms came in about 15 and 16 lbs and the hen was about 10.
midget whites are a bit smaller but are great for a small family or just for two people (me and the wife). the nice thing bout the midget white is I can get two in the oven if I have to feed more people.

This is ellie. I bought her when she was a couple of days old and raised her with some other chicks I had. She has grown so much the past month.As you can probably tell....she's kind of spoiled...

Back
Top Bottom