Turkey Talk for 2014

I have a pair of blue slate that will start to lay this spring. I hope to hatch out eggs and grow the poults for the freezer. I am also getting 8 sweetgrass and 8 tiger bronze from porters. I am so excited for this year that I can hardly stand it!!!!!!:weee

I have a trio of Bourbon Reds that I hope to get some poults from this year. Would also like to add Blue Slate and Royal Palms. Have to get the turkey pens built in the new barn this month so they can be settled by the time they start laying.
If you want to sell or swap some Hatching eggs, I have Holland whites and want some more Bourbon Reds. I have one BR hen and she needs company. PM me if you are interested!

well I would like to suggest royal palm if you want to have around 20lb turkey. We raised two toms and a hen this year and the toms came in about 15 and 16 lbs and the hen was about 10.
midget whites are a bit smaller but are great for a small family or just for two people (me and the wife). the nice thing bout the midget white is I can get two in the oven if I have to feed more people.

I would love to have some more Midget Whites, I have toms, no hens ! If you are interested in something a little bigger, I have a lot of Holland whites and would love to swap eggs! PM me if you are interested!

They will start laying soon. I know up North turkeys lay later, like around March or April, but I don't mind waiting to get the eggs. I have a dozen hens, two are promised, so that leaves me 10 for mating and laying eggs, so they will be fresh! If interested, PM me.
does she look like she might be a male? Everyone I've talked to said female...She is an eastern
X3 She is definitely a hen ! and a pretty one.

I don't have any palms and really prefer only Midget Whites, Beltsville Whites and Bourbon Reds, for this year. I think 4 breeds are all I can handle in 2014. When would you like to start incubating eggs? Send me a PM with your address and how many when. Would anyone out in turkey land want to do a 3 way swap, wanting Slates or Palms and having either Midget Whites, Beltsville whites or Bourbon Reds?

Last edited:
I need to revisit my original plans.
I sold my red and self blue pair. I lost my black Spanish tom. I ended up buying another red tom (for $5 more than I got for my boy - he is a much deeper red, though) to put in with my 2 black girls. So, I will be breeding a mix this year. I want to get my hands on black winged bronze - I can breed my own Sweetgrass then. I also want to get some more Reds. I believe I will be letting the black girls go back to the woman I got them from if I can get myself 2 reds to replace them.

Who knew turkeys were just as addicting as chickens? Bad thing is, they take up so much more space so you can't have nearly as many!

Back
Top Bottom