Turkey Talk for 2014

My female turkey jumped the fence to lay her egg when I disrupted her laying spot. She couldn't get back over, roamed too far and got attacked by a dog. Had to put her down. We miss you prue :( all the pics of peoples turkeys on here are wonderful!

My female turkey jumped the fence to lay her egg when I disrupted her laying spot. She couldn't get back over, roamed too far and got attacked by a dog. Had to put her down. We miss you prue
sad.png
all the pics of peoples turkeys on here are wonderful!
hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. Why do they have to be so simple-minded at times???

Lisa :)

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain, lost my favorite turkey hen to a coyote yesterday morning. She also jumped the pasture fence after I let them out of their enclosure...I was surprised, it happened later in the morning.

I'm sorry your loss! We don't have coyotes in this country so it sounds terrifying. What a beautiful turkey <3

Question if I may, and this may sound stupid, but here goes anyway.

If you house your turkeys in a pen with a good sized (how many square feet per bird) and they KNOW that is their home, can you free range them during the day and will they PUT THEMSELVES to bed at night or do they have to be rounded up?

I'm sorry, but I have had chickens for several years and know the answers as far as the chickens are concerned, but I am strongly considering raising turkeys for the holiday meals.

Anyone?

Thank you in advance

Skip

Question if I may, and this may sound stupid, but here goes anyway.

If you house your turkeys in a pen with a good sized (how many square feet per bird) and they KNOW that is their home, can you free range them during the day and will they PUT THEMSELVES to bed at night or do they have to be rounded up?

I'm sorry, but I have had chickens for several years and know the answers as far as the chickens are concerned, but I am strongly considering raising turkeys for the holiday meals.

Anyone?

Thank you in advance

Skip

I do not free range but the couple times I've had escapees they have returned &allowed themselves to be gently herded back into their pens. It has always been hens that escaped & my toms stayed in. The tom calling is what called the hens back.

Back
Top Bottom