Turkey Talk for 2014

Quote:
I'm in Central Texas.. the eggs were from eBay

Quote:
According to eBay they were 720 miles away (of course they don't take into consideration the routing.. so the eggs probably traveled a bit more than that).. they were shipped on a Wednesday and I got them that Friday.. After I unpacked them I let them sit for a couple of hours.. then popped them into a clean "cold" incubator and started warming it up with the eggs inside.. bumping the temp up a bit every few hours until it hit 99.5

as for packing:
They were bubble wrapped and then packed in shredded paper. none were cracked however they all did have air cell damage.. which is no biggie really
and yup.. they traveled via USPS even through the dreaded Austin postal hub!
clap.gif

Quote:
Yes, excellent recommendation. Much easier than warming the eggs up first so as not to shock cold eggs in a warm incubator. I'm incubating for the first time, and borrowed an incubator that has just a knob for adjusting temp. I've got it working, but glad I borrowed it before I bought one. I'll be getting one with a digital readout for sure.

especially if you are starting with cold eggs... allowing them to set at room temp for a few hours.. then the slow gradual heating also helps prevent condensation inside the eggs
I use an LG, so sometimes I need to step thru the warming process.

Into basement at 50
to counter at 60
to top of incubator,
and then in.

Often I am too busy for all those steps, so it depends on how much I need those eggs to hatch!
wink.png
THe clears all get feb back -- so no waste here.

I just got my very first turkeys!! We already have silkies, cuckoo marans, Dominiques, French blue marans, mallard ducks, and Toulouse geese. I am excited about trying out turkeys, but I have heard they are hard to get going. So far I've only had one that had some trouble with flipping over, but I've been constantly turkeysitting, and a week later it seems much better! How old do you recommend waiting to feed treats such as yogurt and oatmeal? Thank you :))

Last edited:
Just went out to the pens and seen my turkeys trying to breed. But every time the tom was trying to mount the hen she would get up. He successfully mounted her but she was struggling and looked like he was too heavy and hurting her so she got up.

Back
Top Bottom