Turkey Talk for 2014

the digital units I use on some of my coolerbators was from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271185626115&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160
it only reads out in celsius.. so I had to get used to that lol

When you wire it up be VERY SURE that you only strip about 1/8th of an inch of wire. Once inserting the wire if you can see any copper you need to trim it or risk the electricity arcing and shorting out.. I did it. Had it all wired up and running and shifted the box's position slightly and it arced and shorted.
th.gif
barnie.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

Quote:
I would recommend the single strap style, and for turkeys the fixed shoulder protector (I get the removable shoulder protector for chickens, but concerned that the toms are heavy enough to pull it off), and the predator eyes decals are great. I originally used the double strap style, but found them difficult to put on, and the girls didn't tolerate them as well. I switched to the single strap style and they tolerate them perfectly after one day (first hour is like a dog wearing an E.collar for the first time, then there's most of the day getting used to it), and I've not had a single one come off. I've probably ordered 18-20 over the years. I could probably make them, but they wouldn't turn out as well and these are perfect. I've only had to send one back because it had a seamstress error, and they were glad to replace it, with profuse apologies. Love this company. Here's their sizing page, but you should e-mail them or call them for custom made aprons for heritage turkeys, as their bodies are longer than chickens. http://hensaver.org/

I just got my very first turkeys!! We already have silkies, cuckoo marans, Dominiques, French blue marans, mallard ducks, and Toulouse geese. I am excited about trying out turkeys, but I have heard they are hard to get going. So far I've only had one that had some trouble with flipping over, but I've been constantly turkeysitting, and a week later it seems much better! How old do you recommend waiting to feed treats such as yogurt and oatmeal? Thank you
smile.png
)

One of my hens has already been damaged by a tom. Poor thing got spurred today during mating and has a gash on her side.
HOpefully not too serious--clean it up and try to pull th edges together--can only sew fresh edges together though. GOod luck!
fl.gif

LOVE HIS COLOR!!! The bronze shines . . .like metallic bronze!!

Just to give y'all an update. After lowering the humidity in the incubator I wanted to give the eggs as long as possible before moving them to my hatcher. I had coturnix quail, jersey giant chicks and turkey all due to lockdown yesterday and hatch Thur/Friday.
I came home from work and go to move them all into the hatcher trays and there is a hatched chicken egg on the top(3rd) shelf. The little guy had hatched and tumbled down to the bottom passing the other two shelves that had quail and chicken eggs on them. It seems to be fine and around 10 more of them are pipped. No pips seen on the turkey or quail eggs yet.
So I quickly put than all in the hatcher trays and moved them into the hatcher. I have the hatcher set at 98.5 degrees and 65% humidity. (Settings rec on the porter turkey web page) fingers crossed and I'll see what happens.
Like most babies, the bones are a bit flexible. The wood ducks hatch out high and trees and jump 20 feet or so and bonce on the ground. Gives me heart palpatations thinking of the risk . . . so your adventurous one will probably be ok. THe fact that you have so many external pips is really good news.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ergaergaz ONE OF MY EMU IS HATCHING!!! Here is the link to watch it hatch live!
Dang-- I hate dialup!!!! I'm mising all the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: FOr the slightly crafty, a saddle can be made pretty easily too.

HOpefully not too serious--clean it up and try to pull th edges together--can only sew fresh edges together though. GOod luck!
fl.gif

LOVE HIS COLOR!!! The bronze shines . . .like metallic bronze!!

Like most babies, the bones are a bit flexible. The wood ducks hatch out high and trees and jump 20 feet or so and bonce on the ground. Gives me heart palpatations thinking of the risk . . . so your adventurous one will probably be ok. THe fact that you have so many external pips is really good news.

Dang-- I hate dialup!!!! I'm mising all the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOr the slightly crafty, a saddle can be made pretty easily too.

Do you know how to make them? I could pay you or trade some eggs.

Quote: THis is supposed to be your opportunity to try hand sewing-- inspiration to jump into something new!! lol Patterns are online for chickens.

You just a few things--clothe. Like old denim jeans is my next material to try. Cut to shape. bind edges with ship stitch or run thru sewing machine. Sew on elastic. I tried the snaps but that at doesn't seem to secure elastic very well. Maybe a metter of quality. HOok and eye would be better than snaps. THen you can alter the shape to fit each of your birds.

THnk of the new skills you can teach to your kids in a few years!!

Back
Top Bottom