Turkey Talk for 2014

Congrats on the egg!
ya.gif

One of my hens has already been damaged by a tom. Poor thing got spurred today during mating and has a gash on her side.
Poor girl
hit.gif

First Turkey Egg! Spring is definitely arriving!
Congrats on your first egg! So happy to see some signs of spring
love.gif

Just went out to the pens and seen my turkeys trying to breed. But every time the tom was trying to mount the hen she would get up. He successfully mounted her but she was struggling and looked like he was too heavy and hurting her so she got up.
They will get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect!
love.gif

Just to give y'all an update. After lowering the humidity in the incubator I wanted to give the eggs as long as possible before moving them to my hatcher. I had coturnix quail, jersey giant chicks and turkey all due to lockdown yesterday and hatch Thur/Friday.
I came home from work and go to move them all into the hatcher trays and there is a hatched chicken egg on the top(3rd) shelf. The little guy had hatched and tumbled down to the bottom passing the other two shelves that had quail and chicken eggs on them. It seems to be fine and around 10 more of them are pipped. No pips seen on the turkey or quail eggs yet.
So I quickly put than all in the hatcher trays and moved them into the hatcher. I have the hatcher set at 98.5 degrees and 65% humidity. (Settings rec on the porter turkey web page) fingers crossed and I'll see what happens.

One of my hens has already been damaged by a tom. Poor thing got spurred today during mating and has a gash on her side.

Hopefully it's not too serious, and will heal quickly. I've seen some that are minor, some that are serious, and some that are deadly. Can your tom's spur be trimmed or capped to reduce recurrance?

That reminds me, I really need to get all my girls measured for hen saddles. I've kept putting it lower on my to do list, but I shouldn't wait any longer. I order mine through Hensaver in TX. They have standard sizes for chickens, and they can enlarge the standard measurements for tukeys, but I like to measure each hen for the best fit. They will custom make them at no extra charge. If someone e-mails them they will send you directions to take the measurements. My hens appreciate them.

Just to give y'all an update. After lowering the humidity in the incubator I wanted to give the eggs as long as possible before moving them to my hatcher. I had coturnix quail, jersey giant chicks and turkey all due to lockdown yesterday and hatch Thur/Friday.
I came home from work and go to move them all into the hatcher trays and there is a hatched chicken egg on the top(3rd) shelf. The little guy had hatched and tumbled down to the bottom passing the other two shelves that had quail and chicken eggs on them. It seems to be fine and around 10 more of them are pipped. No pips seen on the turkey or quail eggs yet.
So I quickly put than all in the hatcher trays and moved them into the hatcher. I have the hatcher set at 98.5 degrees and 65% humidity. (Settings rec on the porter turkey web page) fingers crossed and I'll see what happens.
Good luck!
fl.gif

Hopefully it's not too serious, and will heal quickly. I've seen some that are minor, some that are serious, and some that are deadly. Can your tom's spur be trimmed or capped to reduce recurrance?

That reminds me, I really need to get all my girls measured for hen saddles. I've kept putting it lower on my to do list, but I shouldn't wait any longer. I order mine through Hensaver in TX. They have standard sizes for chickens, and they can enlarge the standard measurements for tukeys, but I like to measure each hen for the best fit. They will custom make them at no extra charge. If someone e-mails them they will send you directions to take the measurements. My hens appreciate them.

Thank you for the info on where to get turkey size saddles. I really wanted to get them last year and couldn't find them anywhere. I think I will look into getting one for each turkey hen this year. Those toms can be pretty brutal, especially when one tom is still fighting the other tom while mating. Poor hens gonna lose an eye or get strangled while he is stepping on her neck. GRRR to the tom turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom