Turkey Talk for 2014

Among other breeds, I have Lilac and Red Slate turkeys. They are related genetically, so I bred my only Red Slate hen as well as my Lilac hens to my Lilac tom this year to save pen space. Decided I wanted to add another hen to that breeding group since one of the Lilac poults I kept turned out to be a hen. So I kept watching her, and something about her color just didn't look right. She has these light barring lines going across her tail and my Lilacs didn't have that. So I thought, well she has to be a Red Slate then, since that breeding produces only those two colors, Lilac and Red Slate. Finally took photos and sent to Kevin, asked which one, and he said NEITHER, she is a Blue Red Bronze. WHAT???? Well after numerous photos and emails, got it all straightened out. One of the Red Slate poults I got last year, the one that turned out to be a hen that I bred to my Lilac, was actually a Blue Red Bronze, sent by mistake since they look so much alike as poults. The only difference is the addition of one red gene. Now I have two, the mother and daughter, and would like to set up another breeding pen for them with my other Lilac tom next year because they are really pretty. But out of pen space right now...what to do, what to do. Here is this year's Blue Red Bronze hen, I think she is lovely:

Wow!! She is super gorgeous!! She's definitely a keeper!! I ordered Red Slates this year from Porters for a Spring 2015 Shipment. We also got Blacks & Penciled Blue Palms. I wanted the Lilac badly but They don't have them available this year. Kevin said they need to replenish their own breeding stock and will be keeping Lilacs back this year. But I do like the Red Slates and I know they can have Lilac babies so that will be nice!! Plus the Penciled Blue Palms are new and that was appealing to me. Can't wait to get more babies
celebrate.gif

Wow!! She is super gorgeous!! She's definitely a keeper!! I ordered Red Slates this year from Porters for a Spring 2015 Shipment. We also got Blacks & Penciled Blue Palms. I wanted the Lilac badly but They don't have them available this year. Kevin said they need to replenish their own breeding stock and will be keeping Lilacs back this year. But I do like the Red Slates and I know they can have Lilac babies so that will be nice!! Plus the Penciled Blue Palms are new and that was appealing to me. Can't wait to get more babies
celebrate.gif

You will like the Red Slates. My tom is beautiful. I thought I had a hen
hmm.png
but turns out she is the Blue Red Bronze instead. So that's how I ended up with another one. If I'd had more experience with the Red Slates and Lilacs, I probably would have figured out sooner that she didn't fit either one, but I just thought it was normal color variation
hu.gif
I was a little miffed at first that he sent me the wrong one in the batch, said his uncle was helping him and he didn't catch the error...but I'm okay with it now: she is just the prettiest thing. She may darken up a little when she gets older, she is only 4 months old. Her mother looks much redder, more like the photo on his website. I also was hoping to add another Lilac hen to my group, so that isn't going to work now. I could keep the two Blue Red Bronze in with the Lilacs, but I'm not confident I'll be able to tell all the colors apart when they hatch as that cross will produce 4 different genotypes. I may have to anyway, if I can't figure out where and how to build new pens for next year. I kept back a spare Lilac and a spare Red Slate tom so if I can get another pen going, I could put my spare Lilac tom over the Blue Red Bronze and they would not be interbred. Of course, cutting back on the birds I currently have to free up a pen is out of the question
gig.gif
gig.gif

Among other breeds, I have Lilac and Red Slate turkeys. They are related genetically, so I bred my only Red Slate hen as well as my Lilac hens to my Lilac tom this year to save pen space. Decided I wanted to add another hen to that breeding group since one of the Lilac poults I kept turned out to be a hen. So I kept watching her, and something about her color just didn't look right. She has these light barring lines going across her tail and my Lilacs didn't have that. So I thought, well she has to be a Red Slate then, since that breeding produces only those two colors, Lilac and Red Slate. Finally took photos and sent to Kevin, asked which one, and he said NEITHER, she is a Blue Red Bronze. WHAT???? Well after numerous photos and emails, got it all straightened out. One of the Red Slate poults I got last year, the one that turned out to be a hen that I bred to my Lilac, was actually a Blue Red Bronze, sent by mistake since they look so much alike as poults. The only difference is the addition of one red gene. Now I have two, the mother and daughter, and would like to set up another breeding pen for them with my other Lilac tom next year because they are really pretty. But out of pen space right now...what to do, what to do. Here is this year's Blue Red Bronze hen, I think she is lovely:

She is very beautiful!
love.gif

You will like the Red Slates. My tom is beautiful. I thought I had a hen
hmm.png
but turns out she is the Blue Red Bronze instead. So that's how I ended up with another one. If I'd had more experience with the Red Slates and Lilacs, I probably would have figured out sooner that she didn't fit either one, but I just thought it was normal color variation
hu.gif
I was a little miffed at first that he sent me the wrong one in the batch, said his uncle was helping him and he didn't catch the error...but I'm okay with it now: she is just the prettiest thing. She may darken up a little when she gets older, she is only 4 months old. Her mother looks much redder, more like the photo on his website. I also was hoping to add another Lilac hen to my group, so that isn't going to work now. I could keep the two Blue Red Bronze in with the Lilacs, but I'm not confident I'll be able to tell all the colors apart when they hatch as that cross will produce 4 different genotypes. I may have to anyway, if I can't figure out where and how to build new pens for next year. I kept back a spare Lilac and a spare Red Slate tom so if I can get another pen going, I could put my spare Lilac tom over the Blue Red Bronze and they would not be interbred. Of course, cutting back on the birds I currently have to free up a pen is out of the question
gig.gif
gig.gif

You make e laugh! Maybe you should go vertical ;)

I want to thank you all for the big hugs & encouragement. Since I culled the first problem turkey things have been much better. The second one appears a bit lonely but since he's always thought of himself as a chicken it isn't so hard on him. He just hangs with the others for company.

I think if I do try turkeys again next year it'll be Heritage Beltsville (the small whites). They just seem like slightly larger chickens. Originally I thought against them since they're so small I figured I might as well just have chickens. But their personality & the variety in the meat (other than just chicken all the time) seems worthwhile.

At the least, I now have some BBB experience under my belt.

A deep heartfelt thank you to LovedMyAlydar, chickadoodles, Wasson6Pack, MotorcycleChick, CherMoz, TattooedMama, and anyone else I missed. Thank you all very, very much!

I want to thank you all for the big hugs & encouragement. Since I culled the first problem turkey things have been much better. The second one appears a bit lonely but since he's always thought of himself as a chicken it isn't so hard on him. He just hangs with the others for company.

I think if I do try turkeys again next year it'll be Heritage Beltsville (the small whites). They just seem like slightly larger chickens. Originally I thought against them since they're so small I figured I might as well just have chickens. But their personality & the variety in the meat (other than just chicken all the time) seems worthwhile.

At the least, I now have some BBB experience under my belt.

A deep heartfelt thank you to LovedMyAlydar, chickadoodles, Wasson6Pack, MotorcycleChick, CherMoz, TattooedMama, and anyone else I missed. Thank you all very, very much!
Your very welcome and if you do want some Beltsville Country Hatchery has some real Beltsville's and very good quality stock.

Back
Top Bottom