Turkey Talk for 2014

This is my first time raising turkeys. I have raised chickens for 5 years and goats for 3. When do turkeys start to gain their fat layer? I am raising broad breasted. I wanted a turkey for Thanksgiving but don't want it 50lbs and my Tom is already looking pretty big. What week do you usually butcher?
In my experience the BB turkey are ready at about 4 months and my the 5 month mark they won't fit in the oven.
big_smile.png

Well I am happy to say my hen Stumpy laid her first two eggs!!!! We found her in coop this morning & there was an egg under her, then I went back out and she was in coop again & laid another!! First one just of been from yesterday
1f601.png
i made her a nice straw bed sooooo happy!!

Well I am happy to say my hen Stumpy laid her first two eggs!!!! We found her in coop this morning & there was an egg under her, then I went back out and she was in coop again & laid another!! First one just of been from yesterday
1f601.png
Congratulations and I hope you get many more.
big_smile.png

1f601.png
Woohoo!! Congratulations!!

Recently my turkey Ethel had hurt her leg so we took her to the et and he soda it may be nerve damage and so we got pills and eventually when we ran out she was still only walking on one leg we isolated her from the others so they wouldn't pick on her in one of the horse stalls. Eventually my mom needed the stall because someone wanted to put there horse in there so I actually thought about putting her down because I don't want her to have to live like that just hoping around everywhere. I wanted to see how she did in the coop before I did anything like that it's been about a whole month now and she's actually started walking on her leg again granted she still has trouble at times needing to hop on the good one to give the bad one a little break but she's doing excellent so well even that she's able to roost at the top again. And even better nobody has even bothered her once and idk I just wanted to express my joy

Back
Top Bottom