Turkey Talk for 2014

Ok, what does everyone use for leg bands on their turkeys? First I had plastic split bands when they were younger, which several of them removed. I wanted something easy to get on and off, plus be able to read the number at a distance. So I went to the numbered wrap around ones. They removed them within 2 weeks-some of them multiple times. I don't have help, so it needs to be something I can get on them myself. Even the tom took his off. Maybe he had help. My girls are very "helpful"
hmm.png

I have just a few hens. So I'm not banding. You might want to ask over on the Century of Turkey Talk, seems more people hang out there. I had to laugh about how helpful your girls are! Mine are too!
I noticed your dog on an agility course. Just had to let you know I have a turkey I've trained to use an A frame and to hop a low jump. Was working a young dog & she was being pesty....put the dog up & started playing around with her! She's food motivated! Going to try her on weave poles.

I have just a few hens. So I'm not banding. You might want to ask over on the Century of Turkey Talk, seems more people hang out there. I had to laugh about how helpful your girls are! Mine are too!
I noticed your dog on an agility course. Just had to let you know I have a turkey I've trained to use an A frame and to hop a low jump. Was working a young dog & she was being pesty....put the dog up & started playing around with her! She's food motivated! Going to try her on weave poles.
Need video!
pop.gif

I just used colored zip ties so it would be easy for me to get them off and on. And the turkey could not get them off. Each generation and breed had a different color.
I want to be able to tell each bird apart, chickens too. If I do just colors, pretty soon they'll have so many colored zip ties on each leg, it'll look like leg warmers '80s flash back. I want numbers. Easy to read numbers. Maybe I need to super glue those bands closed.

I want to be able to tell each bird apart, chickens too. If I do just colors, pretty soon they'll have so many colored zip ties on each leg, it'll look like leg warmers '80s flash back. I want numbers. Easy to read numbers. Maybe I need to super glue those bands closed.

I've had the same problem. I have used super glue. Sometimes that works for me, sometimes the glue doesn't bind. Hard to do by yourself if your birds aren't used to being handled. The bands will not be reuseable after glueing. I switched to wing bands for identification last year but of course you have to catch them to see the number. Anything plastic doesn't hold up here in the desert sw. I find zip ties on the ground in my chicken pens. I don't know how they come off unless they are just breaking. I also find broken numbered plastic bands.

Back
Top Bottom