Turkey Talk for 2014

Love those strutting babies!!
Me too!! I used too ooh and ahhh over pictures of others' babies doing it and I am just so excited now I can sit in my backyard and watch mine
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

So I am wondering at about what age hens start to lay eggs? We have a tom & hen that are about 5-6 months old, she is starting to act different, like when we pet her under her wings she goes down on the ground, then my tom gets on top of her! I know that is mating thing but wouldn't she need to lay an egg first? New to turkeys so any thoughts are appreciated :)

So I am wondering at about what age hens start to lay eggs? We have a tom & hen that are about 5-6 months old, she is starting to act different, like when we pet her under her wings she goes down on the ground, then my tom gets on top of her! I know that is mating thing but wouldn't she need to lay an egg first? New to turkeys so any thoughts are appreciated :)
Breeding has to occur before egg laying or the eggs won't get fertilized.

Usually turkey hens begin laying the spring after they are hatched. There have been cases of hens that laid their first fall but it is not the norm.

Toms really don't care what time of year it is once they are sexually mature. They have been known to mount things other than hens if a hen is not available and cooperative.

Breeding has to occur before egg laying or the eggs won't get fertilized. 

Usually turkey hens begin laying the spring after they are hatched.  There have been cases of hens that laid their first fall but it is not the norm.

Toms really don't care what time of year it is once they are sexually mature.  They have been known to mount things other than hens if a hen is not available and cooperative.
Thank you we got them in Feb/March so maybe she will lay in fall? Who knows lol do you eat any Turkey eggs?

Thank you we got them in Feb/March so maybe she will lay in fall? Who knows lol do you eat any Turkey eggs?

You can eat turkey eggs if you want, but I'd rather hatch them and eat the turkeys themself..
I'm sure it's possible for a hen to start laying in fall the same year they hatch but I have never had any start that soon.. it's always the next spring.. for me at least..

Back
Top Bottom