Turkey Talk for 2014

Hey all,

I currently only keep chickens, but I would love to get involved in raising turkeys, and I am looking for some advice from the pros in this thread. What is a good size for a starter flock? What breed of turkey (heritage only) is easiest to keep? Are they easy to keep in a large yard or do they need an open pasture?

Sorry to butt in with questions, but I read a ton of stuff in books and on the forum, and I find the best way to get answers is to ask the people who know! I would appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!!!

Hey all,

I currently only keep chickens, but I would love to get involved in raising turkeys, and I am looking for some advice from the pros in this thread.  What is a good size for a starter flock?  What breed of turkey (heritage only) is easiest to keep?  Are they easy to keep in a large yard or do they need an open pasture? 

Sorry to butt in with questions, but I read a ton of stuff in books and on the forum, and I find the best way to get answers is to ask the people who know!  I would appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!!!

I have 2 trios, blue slate & royal palm. Each trio gets an 8x8 covered run & a night box that's about 3x4. I do not free range but supplement with lots of yard trimmings & veggie scraps. The palms are a bit smaller than the slates. Otherwise they are about the same.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for the info! That sounds like a reasonable space. I am thinking of giving them a 6 x 8 house and a 12 or 15 x 20 or so run (depending on what the town assesses regarding the property line. Since I will not be pouring concrete foundation, I can go within 10 feet of the line! Blue Slates are very pretty birds, and I would love to have a flock of 5 or 6.

Good to know. I'm not sure how much breeding I would actually do because I don't think I have the time to hatch them out. I would probably toss a couple of extra hens in there for more eggs.

Question if I may, and this may sound stupid, but here goes anyway.

If you house your turkeys in a pen with a good sized (how many square feet per bird) and they KNOW that is their home, can you free range them during the day and will they PUT THEMSELVES to bed at night or do they have to be rounded up?

I'm sorry, but I have had chickens for several years and know the answers as far as the chickens are concerned, but I am strongly considering raising turkeys for the holiday meals.

Anyone?

Thank you in advance

Skip

Turkeys will go to bed if they like the place you set up better then other places. Mine go to bed now but would not go in the other spot I had.
The hens like to hide their nests however so if you do free range be prepared to hunt.

By way of introduction I have 3 royal palm girls and Cranberries my Tom we will be breeding this year. Bo one is laying yet and we are in california.

I currently have 3 Blue Slate Toms, and 2 Hens, 2 Black Spanish Toms, and 2 hens, they are 6 months old December 22, 2013. 2 Bourbon Red Toms 12 weeks old today.
I plan on getting maybe 6-8 Bourbon Red hens, and 15-20 White Hollands Poults early in 2014. The White Holland turkeys are for raising and selling. (With the exception of a tom, and a couple hens for breeding.)

I hope to hatch a few dozen Blue Slate, Black Spanish, Bourbon Red, and White Holland eggs in 2014. And maybe sell some eggs locally.

I also have 3 Royal Palm hens that will be in the freezer sometime in the next week or 2. As I do not like them. No bang for the buck in my opinion.
I butchered 3 yesterday (As well as 36 cockerels, and 1 Black Spanish hen.) And at 26 weeks they ranged from 6 lb. 13 oz to 9 lb. 3 oz dressed out. While a 26 week old Black Spanish hen weighed 13 lb. 7 oz. The Cockerels averaged about 6 lb 7 oz dressed out at 26 weeks 3 days. (Black Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Red, Columbian Rock, Buff Orpington, and Welsummer cockerels.)

I do not raise birds as pets, so they must produce eggs, meat, or be a money maker, or they don't stay long.

I don't ferment feed, but I do soak it for 20-30 minutes before feeding, there is a lot less waste this way.

If you house your turkeys in a pen with a good sized (how many square feet per bird) and they KNOW that is their home, can you free range them during the day and will they PUT THEMSELVES to bed at night or do they have to be rounded up?

I'm sorry, but I have had chickens for several years and know the answers as far as the chickens are concerned, but I am strongly considering raising turkeys for the holiday meals.

Anyone?

Thank you in advance

Skip

We free range ours and yes they go back to the coop every night. We just have to go close the door after dark.

I currently have 3 Blue Slate Toms, and 2 Hens, 2 Black Spanish Toms, and 2 hens, they are 6 months old December 22, 2013. 2 Bourbon Red Toms 12 weeks old today. 
 I plan on getting maybe 6-8 Bourbon Red hens, and 15-20 White Hollands Poults early in 2014. The White Holland turkeys are for raising and selling. (With the exception of a tom, and a couple hens for breeding.)

I hope to hatch a few dozen Blue Slate, Black Spanish, Bourbon Red, and White Holland eggs in 2014. And maybe sell some eggs locally.

I also have 3 Royal Palm hens that will be in the freezer sometime in the next week or 2. As I do not like them. No bang for the buck in my opinion.
 I butchered 3 yesterday (As well as 36 cockerels, and 1 Black Spanish hen.) And at 26 weeks they ranged from 6 lb. 13 oz to 9 lb. 3 oz dressed out. While a 26 week old Black Spanish hen weighed 13 lb. 7 oz. The Cockerels averaged about 6 lb 7 oz dressed out at 26 weeks 3 days. (Black Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Red, Columbian Rock, Buff Orpington, and [COLOR=444444]Welsummer cockerels.)[/COLOR] 

I do not raise birds as pets, so they must  produce eggs, meat, or be a money maker, or they don't stay long.

I don't ferment feed, but I do soak it for 20-30 minutes before feeding, there is a lot less waste this way.

Because of the smaller size, palms are typically raised more for show or egg production than the larger heritage birds are.

I know there's variability in different locations, but what's a reasonable price to ask for a pair of 5-month-old Penciled Red Palms? My husband and I have different ideas about their value.
Here are my thoughts based on very little experience -- different seasons of the year influence the price of breeders birds. Hatching season is the highest prices. Similarly poults are in demand early in the spring or for some areas winter/late winter. In off seasons when few poults are available, few sell but because they are not readily available the price also can go higher.

What ever price you decide, go high, and either negotiate down or not. It is also about the customer base. Who is willing to pay the money-- some customers are too cheap and are notthe customers you are looking for.

My female turkey jumped the fence to lay her egg when I disrupted her laying spot. She couldn't get back over, roamed too far and got attacked by a dog. Had to put her down. We miss you prue
sad.png
all the pics of peoples turkeys on here are wonderful!
So sorry.

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain, lost my favorite turkey hen to a coyote yesterday morning. She also jumped the pasture fence after I let them out of their enclosure...I was surprised, it happened later in the morning.
Tough when they jump the fence-- sorry. Was she a sweetgrass?

Anyone?

Thank you in advance

Skip
None of mine coop up without assistance. THey roost on top of chicken coops and in the trees.

Hey all,

I currently only keep chickens, but I would love to get involved in raising turkeys, and I am looking for some advice from the pros in this thread. What is a good size for a starter flock? What breed of turkey (heritage only) is easiest to keep? Are they easy to keep in a large yard or do they need an open pasture?

Sorry to butt in with questions, but I read a ton of stuff in books and on the forum, and I find the best way to get answers is to ask the people who know! I would appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!!!
Life is easier with a fewer rather than more. Since your turkey experience is what mine was several years ago. A trio will be more than enough. If you plan to buy poults , buy more than the trio and cull down to the best breeder birds. Look for other lines to add fresh blood periodically.

I like a bigger heavier bird which keep the males grounded but the hens still like to fly when let out in the mornings. THey alll troop back to my house!

THe more space the better but you will need a way of keeping them where you want them.

I currently have 3 Blue Slate Toms, and 2 Hens, 2 Black Spanish Toms, and 2 hens, they are 6 months old December 22, 2013. 2 Bourbon Red Toms 12 weeks old today.
I plan on getting maybe 6-8 Bourbon Red hens, and 15-20 White Hollands Poults early in 2014. The White Holland turkeys are for raising and selling. (With the exception of a tom, and a couple hens for breeding.)

I also have 3 Royal Palm hens that will be in the freezer sometime in the next week or 2. As I do not like them. No bang for the buck in my opinion.
I butchered 3 yesterday (As well as 36 cockerels, and 1 Black Spanish hen.) And at 26 weeks they ranged from 6 lb. 13 oz to 9 lb. 3 oz dressed out. While a 26 week old Black Spanish hen weighed 13 lb. 7 oz. The Cockerels averaged about 6 lb 7 oz dressed out at 26 weeks 3 days. (Black Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Red, Columbian Rock, Buff Orpington, and Welsummer cockerels.)

I do not raise birds as pets, so they must produce eggs, meat, or be a money maker, or they don't stay long.

I don't ferment feed, but I do soak it for 20-30 minutes before feeding, there is a lot less waste this way.
Hi Mike, what do you use to serve the soaked feed, is this a ground pellet that you soak? Good size on the black spanish hen.

Back
Top Bottom