Turkey Talk for 2014

Hi Mike, what do you use to serve the soaked feed, is this a ground pellet that you soak? Good size on the black spanish hen.
I use a custom mix that is corn based and has 25.5% protein. I feed this to all my birds, (Chickens and Turkeys!) I figure the chickens can pick out what they want, as can the turkeys. (They all range and bed together.) I also give ground oyster shells on the side for any that may need extra calcium.

cstronks & Phottoman
I have my birds in a bit too small run while we finish fencing in their pasture (they were free-ranging, but they were wandering out into the road). I need to re-trim wings, because almost all of them can fly out of the pen. If they fly out, they will not return to their coop without me herding them in the gate. They will roost on top of their house, on top of the chicken coop, on top of the fence posts surrounding their run, on top of the compost pile. Basically, they will roost as high up as they can get. Once I start rounding them up, they all seem happy to go into their pen.

For me, the 7 turkeys are just too many. They are big, they like to fly, they like to range far, and they eat too much in winter when they aren't out on pasture. I'm planning on keeping one pair of Mottled Chocolates, and then I think I might go with Broad-breasted for the freezer. The heritage are great, but they just take too much feed and effort to get to butcher size. Seriously, they make me wish I had goats again.

Last edited:
Sounds like a whole grain or a cracked /rolled grain mix . . . What do you use for a feeder?
This is the mix breakdown!
750 lb corn, 150 lb oats, 525 lb egg maker concentrate, (39% protein, this is pellets.) 15 lb di cal. (Calcium) and 450 lb GMO free soybean meal. 1890 lb with medium grinding. Once in a while you can see a whole kernel of corn, and a pellet or 2, but for the most part, it's ground good.
Next time, I'll cut the batch in half, as I don't need this much for now.

This is the mix breakdown!
750 lb corn, 150 lb oats, 525 lb egg maker concentrate, (39% protein, this is pellets.) 15 lb di cal. (Calcium) and 450 lb GMO free soybean meal. 1890 lb with medium grinding. Once in a while you can see a whole kernel of corn, and a pellet or 2, but for the most part, it's ground good.
Next time, I'll cut the batch in half, as I don't need this much for now.
How long you been feeding this?

cstronks & Phottoman
I have my birds in a bit too small run while we finish fencing in their pasture (they were free-ranging, but they were wandering out into the road). I need to re-trim wings, because almost all of them can fly out of the pen. If they fly out, they will not return to their coop without me herding them in the gate. They will roost on top of their house, on top of the chicken coop, on top of the fence posts surrounding their run, on top of the compost pile. Basically, they will roost as high up as they can get. Once I start rounding them up, they all seem happy to go into their pen.

For me, the 7 turkeys are just too many. They are big, they like to fly, they like to range far, and they eat too much in winter when they aren't out on pasture. I'm planning on keeping one pair of Mottled Chocolates, and then I think I might go with Broad-breasted for the freezer. The heritage are great, but they just take too much feed and effort to get to butcher size. Seriously, they make me wish I had goats again.
Goats???? Yikes!! THey are a challenge-- I have sheep-- not as smart as goats. Thank goodness. I have enough to do without dealing with clever goats. lol I suspect the old timers wintered over the breeding stock only.

Quote: Good basic mix-- I'm still stuck as my mill mixes a min of 3 tons for custom mix.

When you mix this with water, sorry I keep asking this-- how do you feed it without everyone trampling thru it and dumping this wonderful mix on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom