Turkey Talk for 2014

Make that 4 out of 6 turkey eggs pipped
big_smile.png
I'm hopeful that y'all's suggestions and my adjustments maybe helped this hatch.
celebrate.gif

When you wire it up be VERY SURE that you only strip about 1/8th of an inch of wire. Once inserting the wire if you can see any copper you need to trim it or risk the electricity arcing and shorting out.. I did it. Had it all wired up and running and shifted the box's position slightly and it arced and shorted.
th.gif
barnie.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
ouch! yes I'm pretty respectful of electricity
tongue.png
I want to see NO BARE WIRES EVER!

Make that 4 out of 6 turkey eggs pipped
big_smile.png
I'm hopeful that y'all's suggestions and my adjustments maybe helped this hatch.

I'm so happy for you!!!
celebrate.gif
Good job! still waiting for my hatch any minute now... I'm afraid to open the hatcher and see if there is internal pips..

Motorcyclechick, that is a cute little stripper there lmao.

Last edited:
I'm so jealous!! My 1st turkeys eggs are in the bator and due to hatch is 16 days!!! I'm so excited. I've never even seen baby turkeys!! I can barely wait! Like I have a choice!!!! Lol

Hi there. My kids are getting their first poults (BBW) for their 4-H projects next Monday. We've never had any turkeys before. We feed fermented feed to our chickens. Has anyone here started pullets with fermented feed or do you wait until a certain age to ferment their feed? I picked up game bird feed to start them on, but I wasn't't sure if I should start it fermenting or wait. TIA

Hi there. My kids are getting their first poults (BBW) for their 4-H projects next Monday. We've never had any turkeys before. We feed fermented feed to our chickens. Has anyone here started pullets with fermented feed or do you wait until a certain age to ferment their feed? I picked up game bird feed to start them on, but I wasn't't sure if I should start it fermenting or wait. TIA

How young do you start your chicks on fermented feed? I would suspect, but don't know for sure, that it would be the same for poults, or just 1-2 weeks later.

Does anyone know, is game bird starter appropriate for BB turkeys, or only heritage turkeys? Or does it depend on your goals for the birds (earliest possible slaughter weight vs longest life vs slaughter at a specific date)?

(I don't know any of the answers for you, but your post made me think of these questions.)

I'm inclined to say that poults should be fed standard game bird rations, (23-27% or better), in crumble form, for the first six weeks of growth. Afterwards, one could slowly introduce fermented grains, if one wanted to. In truth, I'm not a big fan of fermented grains, as we've tried them on our farm, and have experienced mixed results. Also, there are so many other choices out there to supplement a turkey's daily rations, such as vegetable refuse, and scraps, all of which would promote a health diet.
Just my opinion.

I'm so jealous!! My 1st turkeys eggs are in the bator and due to hatch is 16 days!!! I'm so excited. I've never even seen baby turkeys!! I can barely wait! Like I have a choice!!!! Lol
Congrats on your eggs in the bator! Its so much fun having baby turkeys. I purchased my young turkeys last fall when they were less than a week old. They sure have grown since then! I have 12 White Holland hatching eggs in my bator now...today is day 11 so I'm right behind you!

Back
Top Bottom