Turkey Talk for 2014

Quote: I called Mr. Reese and he told me he sold his stock to Country Hatchery and that I could get some from them. Mr. Reese does not ship birds or eggs and the only way to get his birds is to go to Kansas and buy directly from him and since I live across the county from him I opted for his suggestion.

I have lost enough toms and roosters to realize I need to keep a back up now or it will set you back a year in your breeding program if something happens.
You are probably right about the turkey just being snoopy one of mine just cant resist trying a taste. lol
Sorry you lost one but that is what they are suppose to do.
big_smile.png

I have a total of 20 hatched that I kept this year. The 2 toms are the oldest, so one will go in the freezer. There's several more growing up for back up, if needed. I've learned that lesson too.

I called Mr. Reese and he told me he sold his stock to Country Hatchery and that I could get some from them. Mr. Reese does not ship birds or eggs and the only way to get his birds is to go to Kansas and buy directly from him and since I live across the county from him I opted for his suggestion. 
I called him as well about shipping eggs in general and he told me be had stopped. I wanted some of his Barred Rocks and Dark Cornish. I ended up with XW Poultry Ranch Barred Rocks and they look great so far. If I remember right their birds come from Mr. Reese's and another line. As close as I could get to his anyway. Still searching for a
Good Dark Cornish breeder. I have Beltsville Whites from Country Hatchery and am pleased with them. It is the only known hatchery that carries true Beltsvilles.

Last edited:
Quote: There are very few that carry the true Beltsvilles. If you get on the Herritage thread there is a great number of wonderful people on there that could help you find some good Dark Cornish hopefully. There are a number of APA Judges on those threads that see breeders all over the country and have good contacts. There are two Herritage threads on is the APA standard you might try that one first. And on one of the threads is a peachdawg that is looking for a serious breeder to take his or her barred rocks and continue breeding and selecting for SOP. Good luck
big_smile.png

Big hugs!!!! Heritage breeds are the way to go!! Broad breasted are good if you need to grow out a meat bird quickly but if you can help it get heritage breeds next time. Do some research on te different heritage breeds, BYC is a great place to start!! In the Reviews section you can find some reviews on breeds and their personalities and quirks. Some seem to be more personable than others. I've only had Narrangansetts and they were super sweet. We had to put them all down due to mycoplasma unfortunately. We have put in an order with Porters Turkeys for next spring with different breeds. This year was our first experience with turkeys and we LOVED them!! They were so much better than our Orpington chickens as far as personality. They were very inquisitive and sweet. Don't give up!! Our experience with Turkeys was awesome and we miss them very much!! Can't wait to get our new babies next year =)

Hi I have a question. I want to plant lupine Russell flowers. Are they bad for mu chickens?
idunno.gif

Chickadoodles, thank you for all your information. I hope to find a good Dark Cornish breeder by spring at least. I plan to stick with Beltsvilles but according to whats going on spring 2015 i may try some Standard Bronze too.

Back
Top Bottom