Turkey with pox???? Dlhunicorn and speckledhen please help....

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
I noticed today when feeding the turkeys that some of them have round scabs on their heads and necks. I know this is pox but my questions are:
1) Can I vaccinate now and the pox will never return
2) Will the chickens, guineas and ducks get it
3) What is the recovery rate of above mentioned birds
4) Will they get it again and again or is it like chicken pox
5) Will they be life long carriers
Also what do I vaccinate with if its worth vaccinating them all
Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Can I vaccinate now and the pox will never return
see answer to last question

2) Will the chickens, guineas and ducks get it
The chickens can ...you need to separate the ill ones and give them separate feeders and waterers

3) What is the recovery rate of above mentioned birds
There are two forms>cutaneous (external) and diptheric (internal "wet" pox) > they can get both forms at same time (though it can occur in either form) . The internal form has a higher mortality. Treat the lesions (the warty like lesions on comb etc) with lugols Iodine solution or betadine... internal wet pox will often need antibiotics for secondary infection. Add a good poultry supplement/vitamin to their feed.

4) Will they get it again and again or is it like chicken pox
There are different mutations and yes they can "get" it again even though in principle they have an immunity , the symptoms can crop up and return though once recovered they are in general okay.

5) Will they be life long carriers
it is transmitted from mosquitoes and biting insects (control the mosquitoe population and blood sucking mites)... it is spread from bird to bird only when they are actively infected >this is through shedding dander and drinking bowls etc.

6)Also what do I vaccinate with if its worth vaccinating them all
You can go to www.featherfanciers.com and post your question there...this is the forum for First State Vet Supply and Peter Brown can tell you more on the vaccination

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I was wondering where you were!!! The turkeys are in the pasture and they like to roost around the dang pond. Not much I can do about the pond of course. I am so enjoying the rare heritage turkeys and this just makes me sick. Thanks again for the info!!

They do look so awful and miserable... the iodine will really help with drying up the lesions... when they are ill they will not have a good appetite which is why it is so important to give supplemental vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom