Turkeys 0-9.5 weeks old pics

Quote:
im new to the whole turkey thing, but i have two and they're both sweet as can be. they're still only babies so they get kind of skiddish, but they just love to sit in my hand and be pet. sometimes they even fall asleep!
cool.png
I think it just depends on the attention they get, like chickens. chickens generally aren't friendly unless you make them that way.

I had a Royal Palm turkey hen a LOOOONG time ago named Henrietta, and she was a friendly as could be. She would come up and talk to you and beg for treats.

I had bourbon reds and they were friendly. They would come running when I whistled to them. And they liked "helping" when I was weeding.

My original Bourbon Red breeders were super friendly. But they were raised in the house for months. The Royal Palms weren't as sweet, but they weren't mean. They just didn't stand under your feet. My Black Spanish Tom, Ferdinand, was a goofus who wanted to be picked up and carried around, even when he was full grown. And he followed me everywhere. From the house to the pen to the garage to another pen, etc. And if I went in he waited for me at the sliding glass door to come back out. The hen was spazzy at first but she got much better. Especially considering that every night I had to go pick her up and put her to bed. Silly girl wanted to sleep on top of the house. The Eastern Wild Turkeys were real sweeties too. When they grew up and free-ranged (Their own choice not mine. You couldn't keep their wings trimmed.) I could walk out in the yard and scream "BABIEEESSSSS!" real loud and they would come flying over the house, running out of the woods, etc. Absolutely precious.

Thanks for all the great stories of loving turkeys!!

When I was 14 or so.. EONS ago... I used to babysit for people that owned a turkey farm. When I'd go out to the driveway and sit on the steps so the girls could ride bikes and tricycles in the driveway, this Tom would come over and hang out with me. He was practically standing on my feet and LOVED attention. I thought he was so cool!

Then recently someone told me they are not lovable, and suggested I not get a turkey. They had one and said he was temperamental and that they are not usually good pets... I couldn't help but remember that sweet Tom from my childhood.

After hearing all these tales... maybe some day I will get a turkey. I have my hands full now. Should have gotten turkeys instead of ducks! ah...but the ducks are quite amusing I suppose...if they will stay away from my hostas! Time to fence my hostas in !

my 2 poults come running when I am outside- the one I hatched lets me pet him (drumstick) the store bought one we think is a hen(wishbone) is a little more reserved. But They are neither one skittish.I'll take my camera out in a few minutes-
try to get pix
roll.png

Here are the broad breasted bronze turkeys from 0 to 9.5 weeks old!

2.5 ounces week 0
230_0.jpg

6 ounces week 2.5
230_2.jpg

1 lb week 3.5
230_35_weeks_old.jpg

1.5 lb week 4.5
230_45.jpg

2.75 lbs week 5.5
230_55.jpg

4.5 lbs week 6.5
230_65.jpg

5.25 lbs week 7.5
230_75.jpg

7.75 lbs week 8.5
230_85.jpg

11 lbs week 9.5
230_95.jpg
These are amazing pictures. This is the ONLY thread I have found to show them at all ages. Mine is about 8 weeks old and looks exactly like yours did at this age. Can you tell me if this Turkey turned out to be a Tom or a hen?

These are amazing pictures. This is the ONLY thread I have found to show them at all ages. Mine is about 8 weeks old and looks exactly like yours did at this age. Can you tell me if this Turkey turned out to be a Tom or a hen?
Don't expect a reply from a member that has not been on BYC since Apr 30, 2017.

Back
Top Bottom