turkeys for egg-laying?

turkeymom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SE Tennessee
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone keeps turkeys primarily as egg-layers and what kind.
We live in the south and our single Bourbon Red hen has been a terrific layer - pretty much every day since before Christmas. I swear some days she will lay very early in the am and then again just before dark. She is just now slowing down and only laying every other day.
I'm wondering if this is typical for turkeys or if she is just a gem. I really want some more turkeys (maybe Royal Palms, since they are so pretty) and I need to justify the expense
smile.png

I've eaten some of my turkey eggs. Especially the first few of the season. The yolks are kind of weird until you get 'em mixed up good, but they taste fine.

My bourbon red laid about 5 eggs per week this spring, until she started setting.

I must say that turkey eggs taste better than any other egg. It has a smooth, silkie taste (if that makes any sense). When my girls are not broody, I pick their eggs and have them from breakfast.
droolin.gif

I don't like chicken eggs anymore.
hide.gif
gig.gif

Oh, yeah, we love the eggs. Honestly, my husband tested them (I just like them covered in cheese, so I couldn't tell) and couldn't tell a difference from chicken eggs. I have a hard time getting the shells open and have to use a knife, but other than that, they're great. Plus, the people we give our chicken eggs to never want the turkey eggs (!!!), so I never have to share.

That's what I do. They make great scrambled eggs, and are good for baking. I'm done with hatching out for the year, so I'm eating the eggs now. My hubby prefers them over chicken eggs. If they'd lay all year round, I'd just raise turkeys.
tongue.png
The membranes are really tough, though, so I break them by chopping them with a steak knife to keep from getting shells in whatever I'm cooking. You can literally peel a raw turkey egg.

Back
Top Bottom