Turkeys won’t sleep in coop

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
We recently got 6 turkeys earlier this spring. We have a nice 9x16ft coop for them but they free range all day with all our other poultry. My problem is they refuse to sleep in their coop. They’d rather sleep on top of the duck coop that’s about 16ft in the air. There is no way for me to get them down, believe me I’ve tried, and for now it’s fine. They’re protected by our Pyrenees and Anatolian so I’m not worried about predators. But we live in NW Missouri and our winters are COLD! I don’t want them getting frost bite or freezing to death up there. Any advice on getting them to sleep inside their coop (there is one fat Tom that goes inside the coop)? Or will they be fine sleeping up there all winter?

We recently got 6 turkeys earlier this spring. We have a nice 9x16ft coop for them but they free range all day with all our other poultry. My problem is they refuse to sleep in their coop. They’d rather sleep on top of the duck coop that’s about 16ft in the air. There is no way for me to get them down, believe me I’ve tried, and for now it’s fine. They’re protected by our Pyrenees and Anatolian so I’m not worried about predators. But we live in NW Missouri and our winters are COLD! I don’t want them getting frost bite or freezing to death up there. Any advice on getting them to sleep inside their coop (there is one fat Tom that goes inside the coop)? Or will they be fine sleeping up there all winter?
Turkeys, especially heritage turkeys prefer to roost outside. I have roosts staggered at different heights up to 6' off the ground for my turkeys. The roosts are sheltered from the prevailing wind by the coop.

Turkeys are very cold tolerant and do not have a tendency to get frostbite. They cover their feet with their bodies and feathers and stick their heads under their wings.

It gets down to -30°F here and my turkeys roost outside at night in all kinds of weather including heavy snowstorms. They do fine.

My adults roost in trees until it's -20f , then most will come down and go in cattle panel coops.
The poults that sleep in the trees get eaten by great horned owls. I have 10ft lengths of PVC 1 inch water pipe to get them out of the trees. I go out about an hour before sunset and keep them out of the trees.

Turkeys, especially heritage turkeys prefer to roost outside. I have roosts staggered at different heights up to 6' off the ground for my turkeys. The roosts are sheltered from the prevailing wind by the coop.

Turkeys are very cold tolerant and do not have a tendency to get frostbite. They cover their feet with their bodies and feathers and stick their heads under their wings.

It gets down to -30°F here and my turkeys roost outside at night in all kinds of weather including heavy snowstorms. They do fine.
I mostly worry because they’re roosting on are all metal roofs. That can’t be pleasant when it’s cold

My adults roost in trees until it's -20f , then most will come down and go in cattle panel coops.
The poults that sleep in the trees get eaten by great horned owls. I have 10ft lengths of PVC 1 inch water pipe to get them out of the trees. I go out about an hour before sunset and keep them out of the trees.
Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom