Turning a profit off of your eggs?

My dad used to keep around 100 chickens and sold eggs and chicks to cover the feed bill for goats/turkeys/ducks/horses and a few cows. Not sure on the profit but it takes a decent size flock and work. 5-6dz eggs/day with Fridays/Saturdays eggs going to the incubator to keep it filled for rotation. In the 90s he would get $2/dz eggs and avg $0.75/chick. With a Emu cabinet incubator and hatcher he could stuff around 540 eggs in with 70% hatch rate. So about 10dz chicks and 25dz eggs a week made around $140-$150/week.
I have 9 layers and sell eggs to my coworkers and cover my feed bill plus the eggs my family eats.

Doesn't really matter what country you're in if someone else is footing the bills.
From basic economics, you are right. But, mostly nondefinition of “carton”. So a carton there may be a dozen, or might be different size, making an impact on any “profit”.

Was half watching a show while in and out of room where people were re-doing their gardens on a budget. One couple (in N England or Scotland) were bartering eggs from their chickens for plants/cuttings since they had a tiny budget. It struck me that they were using 4-egg cartons to barter their eggs, and I doubt they special ordered the cartons. This leads me to believe that it may be more common in some other countries to have a different size carton to the usual US dozen carton.

FWIW, I would not make a profit in my area. Went to store, grabbed a carton of eggs (holiday baking) and was shocked that it was only $0.59 for a dozen. I was at the “higher end” (for the area) Supermarket, not a discount store. A special price, but highest they get here is around $1.20 typical/dozen for large eggs, and under $2/dzn for Jumbo.

FWIW, I would not make a profit in my area. Went to store, grabbed a carton of eggs (holiday baking) and was shocked that it was only $0.59 for a dozen. I was at the “higher end” (for the area) Supermarket, not a discount store. A special price, but highest they get here is around $1.20 typical/dozen for large eggs, and under $2/dzn for Jumbo.
Yeah no one, who knows better, keeps chickens to make or even save money.
Now that I have the pure breeds for making OE's (they are not stellar layers) I'm not even covering my feed costs...SMH. I've never figured in the costs of coop, runs, and incubators. Maybe next spring I can sell some OE layers and tip more numbers over to the black side of the tally sheets....still doesn't cover my time, so it's mostly a 'hobby'.

Back
Top Bottom