Turning eggs

rainee63

Songster
Mar 12, 2017
North Alabama
I took the auto turner out of my mini incubator, planning on turning them myself, but now I have questions! I read something about turning angles that has me worried. Is the turning angle super - important? What if my angle is wrong? And must they be turned at night? I didn't think about that last night. But I think they'll be OK cuz it was only day 1. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 12
I don't think turning angle is extremely important. If you think about it, a hen just turns, she doesn't know the angle. She does however turn them around the clock and more frequently the first week of incubation. 3 or 4 times a day is sufficient but the more the better.
Why did you take the turner out?
Hand turning gets old pretty fast.

I took it out cuz with it I can only hatch 7 eggs. Without it I can fit 2 more. I broke down and bought some lavender orpington eggs, and they were sold by the dz. But the seller agreed to sell 9. And I also thought that it wouldn't be that big a deal turning them, since I've watched my hens with their eggs and it didn't seem that hard. Then I read this article about turning angles and degrees and which angle lead to a greater instance of malformation.... And it kinda freaked me out!

I know the importance of turning but when turning by hand, I sometimes slack off.
I need to get my automatic incubators going again. I have a few new parts to install and have been using an LG without a turner. I swear to never use it again.

It hasn't been that bad for me. I have my incubator on my kitchen island so I see it alot. And I guess I like to fiddle with them. Course it's only been 3 days. Lol.

I hand turned my first round. Had more than a dozen eggs. I was turning before work and several times afterwards. It really wore me down as I’m always on the go and was planning my day around having time to turn.

I've been a stay at home grandma since January, so things have slowed down alot! My 11 month old gbaby still wakes up twice at night for bottles, so it all works out. I put a big note on the incubator that says "turn me!" idk... I've watched the motion of my auto-turner and it doesn't seem to move them much. So I'm gonna try this for now. I may be putting that turner back in for the next round. Or just getting a bigger incubator!

Back
Top Bottom