Tweetie, the one legged rooster.

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
Today we drove 3 hours to bring our rooster Tweetie to a new home, in CT. This family had emailed us before and assured us that they will build him his own coop and run, and it will be predator proof. He will have 3 hens to look after, and 2 young girls who will dote on him. When we met with them, the family kept telling us how handsome he was and what beautiful coloring he had, and the young girls couldn't peel their eyes off of him. Tweetie (who had recently been starting to peck us) stared at the girls with a curiousity and a loving expression, and pecked pellets out of their hands and sipped water and eyed them curiously. The young girls patted him, and one even reached her hand under his chest and stroked him. Tweetie did not bite, he simply clucked and purred; his eyes knowingly staring at them, as if he knew this was his new home. With some happy smiles and relief flooding away from us, we watched as they loaded him into the car. We have raised Tweetie up since he was 2 months old, believing and hoping he was a girl, but he is not. I feared he would become mean and aggressive, but he is not. I thought nobody would want a rooster that is disabled, and I was wrong. We have had much laughs and have adored Tweetie from day 1. The one legged rooster will always be with us, and I know he will live a good life with his new family. We have cared for him, held him and loved him since since he was little, and even though he is gone, we still do. Love you Tweetie.

Tweetie at 2 months old; we made him a sling so he could strengthen his leg and build up his balance. He was a darling as a chick, and he still is. (most the time
wink.png
) He we held everyday, cuddled and given treats and loved by all. Everyone that heard about him were in shock. How could a one legged rooster survive? This one could.

Tweetie when he's full grown, at 9 months old. By this time, he's learned how to hop and balance himself to eat and drink, how to hide from predators and protect his hen from hawks. He learned how to crow (one of the reasons we had to give him away, the other because of town laws.), and he learned how to survive with one leg in a world like this... because Mr. Tweetie is just a special bird. Love ya Tweets.
smile.png

Wow, he's beautiful! I'm amazed every time I see a bird that Mother Nature makes...like flowers, the color combinations and creative ornamentation is art!

Glad tweety found a great home.

Wow, he's beautiful! I'm amazed every time I see a bird that Mother Nature makes...like flowers, the color combinations and creative ornamentation is art!

Glad tweety found a great home.

Yes, he is quite handsome. He is a welsummer. Every bird is different, and beautiful, in its own way. :) They actually renamed him Captain Ahab, or just Captain for short. I love the name, but he'll always be Tweetie to me, even though it isn't too manly.
lol.png

I'm assuming if he's 9 months old you didn't drive him today, did ya? That part confused me!
Such cute pics, I love how its the same pose, just fast forwarded 7 months. He's so handsome!

We drove him to CT two days ago. He started crowing late, about 2 weeks ago, when he was already 8 months old. :) I actually didn't plan the pose, those were just the 2 best pictures I could find, but yes, it is very cute to see how he's grown. He's quite the lil guy.

Back
Top Bottom