Pics
It's peeping and I can see it's beak, I think I might have to assist because it doesn't seem like it can move to zip.

If you decide to assist go in through the air cell end rather than where the chick is pipped. This way you can apply ointment to the internal membrane to see if all of the blood vessels have been absorbed before proceeding. Have you read the assisted hatch article?

If you decide to assist go in through the air cell end rather than where the chick is pipped. This way you can apply ointment to the internal membrane to see if all of the blood vessels have been absorbed before proceeding. Have you read the assisted hatch article?
I would think to work on the pipped side, since that’s where the embryo is situated and needs space. Ofcourse it’s a lot more tedious, but goodness knows what’s going on on the other end. I guess I’m just faint of heart :oops:

When I assisted I made the pip hole larger by breaking pieces of the shell around the pip hole.
I'm not an expert and it seems @yakitori and @CluckNDoodle knowmore than me
I’m definitely not an expert either!
If it’s experience, I have no doubt that CluckNDoodle has much much more than I 😅

I think it’s hard to say for sure what to do in rare situations as this. I’ve never assisted any of my own eggs, but I did help out a friend.

My friend had a large hatch with quite a few eggs with complications. A few pipped but died in the shell. The there were two more left and she was worried, so she asked for my help as I’ve hatched eggs before (but in no way experienced). One didn’t need assistance and was just taking an awfully long time to be ready. that one, I peeled off the fat end, and because it obviously wasn’t ready, we put it back.

The other one was a chick that pipped the wrong end , seemed stuck and couldn’t turn. So I decided to start peeling away from the pip. Surprisingly it wasn’t all that hard to slowly work the shell away from the membrane on the small end. It was pretty much - peel shell, apply coconut oil on exposed membrane, repeat... It appeared that the egg was too small for the chick. after I worked most of the shell around its head off (while leaving the membrane intact) It managed to pop its own way out.

Honestly though, this was because I was asked to assist... If it were up to me, I may have just let it die in its shell :oops: I’m not the type who can cull a deformed or disabled chick, and would feel terrible bringing a chick into this world only to have it suffer...

That said, the chick we assisted is perfectly happy, and now a budding cockerel 😂

Back
Top Bottom