Twin silkie embryos! Help!

marsh-farm

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Hi everyone-

This is my first time hatching eggs and I think one contains twins. The egg is under my silkie hen and I'm not exactly sure when it was laid but I think today is roughly day 12-14 (she was just so bound and determined to be a mama that I finally caved!) Both of the possible embryos seem very active and healthy. I understand the odds are against these babies, especially because I can't watch them in an incubator and anticipate when to step in to help on day 21. If these babies do survive the next few days, is there anything I can do to increase the odds of successfully hatching? If I ended up being able to assist, what do I even do? I'm so new at this that any advice is truly appreciated!

I'm not sure if there is 2 in there, or if maybe we are seeing head and butt. But if you have an incubator, could you consider putting that egg in it for possible assistance later? Then if she hatches any of the others, you could probably give the chicks back to her.

Thank you! I was considering purchasing one and now I probably will. Twins would be fun but hopefully it's just one very active and healthy chick!

Oh I'm already so addicted now just after 2 weeks! I've been hesitant to begin hatching because I KNEW my chicken disease would get so much worse! Oh well! When I first thought it was twins I was so excited...then I did a little reading and my heart just sank. I'm still hopeful though that one or both may survive or maybe as WVduckchick said, it's just one baby. I'll be sure and post any updates as hatch day gets closer. Should I avoid handing the egg as much as possible at this point?

Oh I'm already so addicted now just after 2 weeks! I've been hesitant to begin hatching because I KNEW my chicken disease would get so much worse! Oh well! When I first thought it was twins I was so excited...then I did a little reading and my heart just sank. I'm still hopeful though that one or both may survive or maybe as WVduckchick said, it's just one baby. I'll be sure and post any updates as hatch day gets closer. Should I avoid handing the egg as much as possible at this point?

Most will say yes, don't handle them. But I've watched broody hens be so rough on eggs, I'm much less particular now! lol Obviously, being careful is important! But turning and candling, and normal stuff like that is fine.

I had a broody a few months ago that left an egg. I assumed it had quit. Stuck it in my jacket pocket while I finished feeding the flocks, etc. It was probably in my pocket for an hour or more before I remembered to candle it. Yep, still alive. Stuck it in the incubator and it hatched a couple days later.

Most will say yes, don't handle them. But I've watched broody hens be so rough on eggs, I'm much less particular now! lol Obviously, being careful is important! But turning and candling, and normal stuff like that is fine.

I had a broody a few months ago that left an egg. I assumed it had quit. Stuck it in my jacket pocket while I finished feeding the flocks, etc. It was probably in my pocket for an hour or more before I remembered to candle it. Yep, still alive. Stuck it in the incubator and it hatched a couple days later.
lol not throwing air and catching it! :lau
thats a miracle! congrats

Back
Top Bottom