twine from hay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kerrysmommy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    can i use twine for anything in my chicken coops? i have lots of it and its driving my mom nuts just sitting in the hay barn. so i thought like the feed bags get turned into tote bags what can twine do?????[​IMG]

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I use it to tie back doors and hang snap hooks from gates and doors so they don't get lost opening and closing. I also have 4 diff colors, orange, blue, black and green and I tie and knot a different color on each of the tops of my waterers so when cleaning I don't get them mixed up.
    You can use it for temporary tying gates closed and such too...it's sorta like barnyard duct tape [​IMG].

3. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    it's sorta like barnyard duct tape [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lol thats what i use it for only in case of an emergency but like anything i could sell and make a profit

4. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    any others??????

5. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I string it over the top of the pen to keep hawks and owls out. It won't keep out coons, but I have electric fence for that.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just be sure it's out of reach of the birds. My ~5 week old bantam cochin chick was acting weird and flopping/thrashing around the other day, and I finally realized when it thrashed, it's sibling moved toward it. Turned out they had a teeny tiny thread of baling twine tangled around legs, wings and one neck--not fun trying to get undone! Thank God for the steady hand of ds10, we finally got them untangled. We'd used a length of twine to hold the snap on the coop door and the end came undone and somehow they got this thread loose and tangled up.

Other than that, yes we use it as mentioned. I like to keep scissors handy in the hay barn, they're tied to baling twine and attached to a nail so they don't go walkies. I used it to tie my tomatos to the cages or stakes. I'v used it as an impromptu halter when a horse gets out, or a leash when a dog acts up and needs to be tied. I've considered using it on my kids when they act up, but I think that's illegal [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I often use it to hand treats with. My flock goes crazy for an apple on a string! Sometimes I thread large grapes on some and watch the show.[​IMG]

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    It burns really well...

BUt I use it for everything, You want a strong rope? braid up some twine. My old horse broke a 6" rail and still had the twine rope around his neck (he's lucky I did not catch him). I have wrapped shovel handles with it, tied off tolls on the roof, one of my summer waterers are held up with it. The hose that feeds my winter feeders is secured with it. I had the end of my roost tied with it but the hens played with it, so I used sash chord instead. If you warp it around your hands, you can use it like as a saw to open new bails to get another piece of twine. You could probably make a hammock out of it. It would certainly hold a tire swing long enough to get the camera before the crash...

You can also wrap it around the axles of your equipment and burn up hardened steel bearings with it.

Farmers duct tape for sure, but it don't mind dirt, water, oil, diesel or gas...

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said by others - It's a farmer's duct tape. [​IMG]

10. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Makes good tie downs when your bungees have mysteriously disappeared. I used some as dog leashes when I forgot my regular leads. Also used for tying tomato plants to stakes. And for weaving two sections of chicken wire together. We have tied them together then tied them to the well pump to keep from dropping the pump all the way down into the pipe and not be able to get it back out. Can be used in emergency fence mending, horse catching, goat leading, chicken-feet tying. I used one as a hair tie-back once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by