Twisted Foot

DonnaFreak

Chirping
Dec 30, 2016
Central Kentucky
OK y'all. I've searched the internet and this forum to no avail. I had 2 ducklings brought to me today that were TSC rescues. They call a friend of mine whenever they have chickens or ducks that have a problem to see if she can rescue them, and sometimes she brings them to me. One of them has what seems to be a deformed eyelid, and the other has a twisted foot.

I've seen pictures and advice for all kinds of situations, but none exactly like this one. Her foot turns inward so that every other step she takes, she steps on her twisted foot with her straight one and trips herself. Her toes aren't bent, curled, or squeezed together. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any problem with her toes whatsoever. Her foot is flat like it should be, just turned inward at the ankle.

I can turn it so that it's pointing forward in the right direction without it seeming to hurt her in the slightest. All of the foot remedies I've been able to find seem to involve either taping a curled foot so that it's held open, or something to hold legs close together if the legs are splayed. Oh I have found a treasure trove of remedies! But nothing telling me how to turn her foot forward and hold it in that position so it can mend. Can someone please help me? I'm afraid if I don't get started trying to straighten it now as a day old, it will soon be too late. I would sure appreciate it!

Donna

The more I've worked with this sweetheart, the more issues I find. I get a working idea for one problem, only to have another one pop up. I am NOT going to cull her since she doesn't seem to be in pain. If I have to have a house duck in a wheelchair, so be it. But once I braced the left foot, it became obvious how twisted the right foot was. Bracing that foot made it obvious that she also had a twist at her hock that made the right foot cross in front of the left one. So I used a straw to create a "bar" to keep the feet apart so she wasn't tripping herself. That just threw the right leg back behind the left on, which revealed that she has a slipped tendon. So the twisted left foot is minor compared with the 3 problems with her right leg. But I refuse to give up on this baby. I'll attach pictures to show what I have so far. And is there anything cuter than a duckling in a coffee cup? I think not!!

PhotoPictureResizer_200424_231156889_crop_2273x2302.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_200424_231340149_crop_2476x2865.jpg

You can try and splint it but you need to act fast. If it cant be easily straightened with your hand you may have to cull it.

OK, but what do I splint it to? That's where I'm confused. It turns into the right position without seeming to bother her at all. I need to know how to KEEP it in that position. But I'm drawing a complete blank. 🤷

Bless! I love your decision to let this little one live! It’s a big job caring for one with a handicap sounds like your up for the task! Sure is a cutie!

Thank you! I have found a lady on Facebook who is very knowledgeable about treating and caring for special needs ducks, and has written articles about various issues they can have. She told me last night that this little one needs to be in a cast for about 3 weeks, and that I need to put her in it ASAP before her bones fuse the way they are. I'm unfortunately on hold for today because of it being Sunday, but I will be on it first thing tomorrow morning. Keep your fingers crossed! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom