Twisted Legs and Swollen Hocks

merrittsfarm

Hatching
Aug 25, 2016
Hey all! I thought I would make this thread for anyone who has issues with their chicken's legs. My cockerel Checkmate has what is called a Valgus Deformity in his left leg. This is a condition where the hock turns in due to a slipped tendon. The only way to correct it is through surgery, and we are going to do just that! His surgery is scheduled for the week after next, and one of the best parts is that the surgery is being performed for free! It is risky, and he may die, but this is his best hope for walking normally!

Since the time of the photo being taken, not only has it turned in worse, his hock is now incredibly swollen. Before it comes up, he doesn't take well to wrapping it to keep it straight. That has been tried! :) I will post throughout his journey to give more updates. If anyone else has birds with similar issues, I hope this will help!

-Merritt

Varus valgus deformity is one of the many leg bone deformities in poultry, most common in meat birds and turkeys, but also found in layers. It can occur in one or both legs, and it can cause a tendon rupture in the hock as the chicken grows. Recently, a vet posted a thread here about performing surgery on her own chick, trying to fix a similar problem. I believe she eventually put the chicken down, but there have been others written about on BYC. Many chickens survive with leg problems if theyhave special care. It's good that you have an opportunity to try and fix this. I hope he does well, and hopefully you will post again to let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah I have read a lot about it in chicks, but this big guy is about 5 months old now, and he is a beast! I hope he copes well with the surgery:)

Back
Top Bottom