Twisted toe - need help on how to set

Encourage

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
I have a three week old barred rock chick with a twisted toe.
While I’m seeing videos online for how to set leg breaks, I’m not finding one for straightening toes. Any help please? I’m afraid to do it wrong and hurt her. She moves along just fine.

Attachments

• 1FCF8F5F-66FB-4E25-A59A-9F483898C1BF.png
    1FCF8F5F-66FB-4E25-A59A-9F483898C1BF.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 08559AC3-1696-4382-B09A-BD49C74164AB.png
    08559AC3-1696-4382-B09A-BD49C74164AB.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I have a three week old barred rock chick with a twisted toe.
While I’m seeing videos online for how to set leg breaks, I’m not finding one for straightening toes. Any help please? I’m afraid to do it wrong and hurt her. She moves along just fine.
It's a crooked toe. Did she hatch like that? If she did, then likely you will not be able to correct it since it's a condition that can be due to genetics, poor incubation, etc.

I had a one day old chick with an injured toe that fell off after a few weeks. I've had any number of adult chickens with crooked toes, twisted toes, and toes that lost their nails. @Allsfairinloveandbugs has a chicken that lost both entire feet to frost bite. What all these chickens have in common is they all managed to get around just fine in spite of their feet issues.

Your chick will not even notice the crooked toe, and it would surprise me greatly if the chick ever has any issues stemming from its crooked toe.

It's a crooked toe. Did she hatch like that? If she did, then likely you will not be able to correct it since it's a condition that can be due to genetics, poor incubation, etc.
We noticed it a week ago. It seems to be getting more severe with time? But I guess that it could be just more apparent as she gets bigger.

I had a one day old chick with an injured toe that fell off after a few weeks. I've had any number of adult chickens with crooked toes, twisted toes, and toes that lost their nails. @Allsfairinloveandbugs has a chicken that lost both entire feet to frost bite. What all these chickens have in common is they all managed to get around just fine in spite of their feet issues.

Your chick will not even notice the crooked toe, and it would surprise me greatly if the chick ever has any issues stemming from its crooked toe.
That is such a relief; thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom