Two bantam 6 week old chicks dead after moving outside

Rogue Chickens

Chirping
Mar 27, 2018
Central IL
Updated below... Now, two of our bantams have died in first two days outside.

(Original post)
Heartbroken..:( last night was our 5 chicks' first night outside. This evening I came home to find our polish bantam dead in the run. The other 4 (3 BOs & 1 bantam brahma) all seem fine. It was just so strange... She was fine yesterday playing outside all day, and then last night we picked her and the others up and put in the coop. This was their first time being locked in there.

What the heck could have happened? I saw no signs of trauma. It was in the 60s overnight. She obviously came out of the coop on her own... Was quite a ways away from the coop.
:hit

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :hit

Was anything toxic nearby that could've leaked or gotten too close? (Rodent poisons, chemicals, etc.)
How much bigger are your BOs? Could they have jumped on her and hurt her insides?
Are your other chicks still acting okay? Are they afraid of going outside at all?
How hot was it during the day? I nearly lost a Polish when she overheated and didn't go get in the shade or drink.
Were all feeders and waterers full?
Did you notice any blood near her vent?

Thanks for the suggestions. Saw no blood at all... Shouldn't have been anything poisonous...

The others are running around and flying. They are much happier outside.

She was a decent sized bantam... But was timid when the others flew around. It did get really hot today though, in the 80s. We have the top of the run covered with a tarp... But she may not have gotten out of the sun... She was black... So I'm wondering if it was the heat...

I'm so sorry :hit

Was anything toxic nearby that could've leaked or gotten too close? (Rodent poisons, chemicals, etc.)
How much bigger are your BOs? Could they have jumped on her and hurt her insides?
Are your other chicks still acting okay? Are they afraid of going outside at all?
How hot was it during the day? I nearly lost a Polish when she overheated and didn't go get in the shade or drink.
Were all feeders and waterers full?
Did you notice any blood near her vent?

Thanks for the suggestions. Saw no blood at all... Shouldn't have been anything poisonous...

She was a decent sized bantam... But was timid when the others flew around. It did get really hot today though, in the 80s. We have the top of the run covered with a tarp... But she may not have gotten out of the sun... She was black... So I'm wondering if it was the heat...
Do you have a vet nearby that could perform a necropsy for you? Maybe it would help give you definite answers.

It's a real possibility, but please know it isn't your fault. You can't make a chicken seek shade or shelter, sometimes they just aren't the smartest.

:idunno:idunno

I lost a Polish Crested Bantam at about the same age. I had not noticed anything unusual at all, but when I picked her up she was literally skin over bone. Nothing in her crop. it was like she was starved to death! It's still a mystery to me, and I know it doesn't help you to solve your mystery. Mine were still in the coop. I'm very sorry about your loss :idunno:(.

:idunno:idunno
I lost a Polish Crested Bantam at about the same age. I had not noticed anything unusual at all, but when I picked her up she was literally skin over bone. Nothing in her crop. it was like she was starved to death! It's still a mystery to me, and I know it doesn't help you to solve your mystery. Mine were still in the coop. I'm very sorry about your loss :idunno:(.
Aww I'm so sorry for your loss!! :(

Day 2 outside....and our other bantam (buff Brahma) has died.

Now only 3 full sized BO's are alive. They all seem perfect though. But, so did the others previously..

Hubby said the one today almost looked trampled. No blood found on her, but one of the BO's has a few spots on her neck where she looks maybe injured.

Are they just beating each other up?
Today is overcast outside... wouldn't have thought they'd get too hot...

:idunno:(:(

Their obvoiusly getting into something that's causing this. What kind of waterer are you using? What is all in the coop? Something just doesn't add up?
What is the coop made of? I know it seems like dumb questions but I'm just trying to narrow things down.
Any pesticides used near them? have you given them anything different to eat lately?

Great thoughts! Waterer is just an open top container that hangs on the fencing. It's been out a few days and I'm sure needs changed... Was planning on doing that today.

The coop is an Eglu Cube... All plastic inside. Just leaving them in the main area, not opening them up to the laying area since they're young.

Their pen is 9 foot squared and 6 feet tall. We have tarped over the entire top. Will try and attach a photo of the whole thing.

Food is still the same starter food they've been on inside.

Shouldn't be any pesticides. A month or so ago my hubby put Weed & Feed on the rest of the yard but totally avoided the coop and run areas. They haven't been in any other grass...

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Their obvoiusly getting into something that's causing this. What kind of waterer are you using? What is all in the coop? Something just doesn't add up?
What is the coop made of? I know it seems like dumb questions but I'm just trying to narrow things down.
Any pesticides used near them? have you given them anything different to eat lately?

Back
Top Bottom