Two birds passed same way can’t find cause

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
I don’t know if anyone has any advice for me here. A while back I had posted about my rooster passing away randomly after no longer being able to move his legs. Well today one of my ducks passed after similar events. I had taken her to the vet a little less than a week ago cause her legs stopped holding her up. I was scared it was the same thing and offered to pay for any and all tests to be done. The vet said she only had bumblefoot (and angel wings) but nothing antibiotics couldn’t clear up. The refused to do blood tests or anything and sent us on our way. She looked like she was getting better. Honking at us and biting at us when we would pet her and she even started walking again. Until about an hour ago when she was in my moms lap and freaking out. Honking in pain and trying to flail and run. We thought she was trying to lay an egg and it was causing pain until she put her head back and went so fast. I’m on my way to the vet with her to see about a biopsy or something. But I’m so scared I don’t know what’s causing this

Sorry for your loss. Your state vet lab is able to do a necropsy and diagnose a cause of death. How old was the rooster? Lameness in chickens may be injury, an illness, or Mareks disease. In ducks it could be injury, disease, or rarely botulism. lead and other types of poisoning, or moldy feed is another thing to check out. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. Your state vet lab is able to do a necropsy and diagnose a cause of death. How old was the rooster? Lameness in chickens may be injury, an illness, or Mareks disease. In ducks it could be injury, disease, or rarely botulism. lead and other types of poisoning, or moldy feed is another thing to check out. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
They are going to do a necropsy and send a sample off to a different lab if they can’t find anything. I don’t know how old my rooster was cause we got him and most of our other birds from an abusive neighbor the duck was maybe 2-4 years old tho. We do our best to keep all food and water clean so I truly don’t know what could have happened

Back
Top Bottom