Two broodies, one coop

Cycomiko

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2017
Western Maryland
B97C19B9-B6E0-499F-BD24-603A3BF436AE.jpeg
A little under two weeks ago, my Olive Egger hatched 2 eggs, and the next day she got off of 5 others that had been laid in place each day when she had got up to eat and do her business. As soon as she left those eggs, a Speckled Sussex took over the duties. Today, one of those hatched. I’m expecting more to come. Will the 1.5 week old chicks be a threat to the newbies, or will the hens (actually pullets) keep peace?

Wether there's peace really depends on the disposition of the pullets and chicks. Do you have an incubator? With the remaining eggs being staggered in age your broody may not continue to sit once some hatch. Have you candled any to check progress?

Wether there's peace really depends on the disposition of the pullets and chicks. Do you have an incubator? With the remaining eggs being staggered in age your broody may not continue to sit once some hatch. Have you candled any to check progress?
We haven't candled any of them. We really just let the first one be broody, and then that got the SS broody, and she'd lay with the OE while broody and each time the OE would get up to eat/drink/poop the SS would get on those eggs. Once the first two hatched, the OE went off to care for them, and the SS took the clutch. They all are sleeping in the same nesting box, smashed together. One just hatched today, and the SS was nudging another egg, I guess it's gonna hatch soon.

Both times I had broodies there were two at at time with hatches 7-10 days apart. It seems like one being broody triggers her sister to do the same. Both times the moms became moms of all the chicks and they became their own little flock. one of the hens also left the chicks a week earlier than the other and the second just took over all of them until she was done raising them. I assume the one that left first was was the one with the first hatches but I can’t be sure because all of my broodies have been my black Australorps, who I can’t tell apart. They all just get called big momma. All the chicks lived happily together. I never had any problem. I don’t no if it makes any difference but my broodies and chicks have always stayed with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom