Two broodies, one coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cycomiko, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Cycomiko

Cycomiko Songster

May 27, 2017
    Western Maryland
    B97C19B9-B6E0-499F-BD24-603A3BF436AE.jpeg A little under two weeks ago, my Olive Egger hatched 2 eggs, and the next day she got off of 5 others that had been laid in place each day when she had got up to eat and do her business. As soon as she left those eggs, a Speckled Sussex took over the duties. Today, one of those hatched. I’m expecting more to come. Will the 1.5 week old chicks be a threat to the newbies, or will the hens (actually pullets) keep peace?

chickens really and True Patriot like this.
  2. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    Wether there's peace really depends on the disposition of the pullets and chicks. Do you have an incubator? With the remaining eggs being staggered in age your broody may not continue to sit once some hatch. Have you candled any to check progress?

aart likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Just watch them or separate them if needed..

True Patriot likes this.
  4. Cycomiko

Cycomiko Songster

May 27, 2017
    Western Maryland
    We haven't candled any of them. We really just let the first one be broody, and then that got the SS broody, and she'd lay with the OE while broody and each time the OE would get up to eat/drink/poop the SS would get on those eggs. Once the first two hatched, the OE went off to care for them, and the SS took the clutch. They all are sleeping in the same nesting box, smashed together. One just hatched today, and the SS was nudging another egg, I guess it's gonna hatch soon.

True Patriot likes this.
  5. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Crowing

Aug 6, 2018
    Pilesgrove, New Jersey
    Good luck. I've had 4 broodies in one coop with a span of ages you should be fine.

6. Cycomiko

Cycomiko Songster

May 27, 2017
    Western Maryland
    Thanks for the reassurance. After seeing our first broody hatch, and letting mama do all the work, we never want to raise chicks indoors again.

True Patriot likes this.
  7. Kristyh119

Kristyh119 Chirping

Nov 18, 2017
    South jersey
    Both times I had broodies there were two at at time with hatches 7-10 days apart. It seems like one being broody triggers her sister to do the same. Both times the moms became moms of all the chicks and they became their own little flock. one of the hens also left the chicks a week earlier than the other and the second just took over all of them until she was done raising them. I assume the one that left first was was the one with the first hatches but I can’t be sure because all of my broodies have been my black Australorps, who I can’t tell apart. They all just get called big momma. All the chicks lived happily together. I never had any problem. I don’t no if it makes any difference but my broodies and chicks have always stayed with the rest of the flock.

True Patriot and Cycomiko like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wonders how many of these will hatch?
    Good thing you had a 'second shift' broody to take over!

Cycomiko and True Patriot like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: