Two chicks sold as Sapphire Gem females. Barred Rock? Need some help IDing

Not a great picture but I think they look the same!
15873120854701025651434793233800.jpg

Here are some more pics of their coloring in better daylight. Theyre not quite 4 weeks old. They just do not look at all like any confirmed pics of Sapphire Gems we have seen. The light isnt being funny in these pics, they are mostly dark charcoal grey almost black with some light grey or white flecks maybe barring. Some grey fuzz on their chests where they were yellow before.

Attachments

• IMG_8407.jpg
    IMG_8407.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8410.jpg
    IMG_8410.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8413.jpg
    IMG_8413.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8414.jpg
    IMG_8414.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8416.jpg
    IMG_8416.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 8
Aww well you will have to wait and see!! Although the black giants are very nice birds if they turn out to be them. I have many of them and they are gentle and sweet! Good luck!!

Though yours have distinct white on bottom edges that form a sort of line that I don't see on OP's. OP's are a little more mottled. Perhaps they are just dark SGs?
They are so dark. I just cant wrap my mind around how they could be within the breed since every single pic I have seen the chicks are soooo light and lavender like from week 1/2 on. Just going to have to wait I guess. I hope some more folks have time to weigh in but for now i am skeptical!!

They are so dark. I just cant wrap my mind around how they could be within the breed since every single pic I have seen the chicks are soooo light and lavender like from week 1/2 on. Just going to have to wait I guess. I hope some more folks have time to weigh in but for now i am skeptical!!
Can you look at bottom of feet? If they're really yellow, that would indicate JG....but if they're just sort of paleish, grayish, yellowish.... something else. I looked up 3 week old chicks from various breeds that a local store might carry and none are exact. Dominiques seem to have more barring at that age and australorps are more solid black. I keep coming back to barred rock pullets... they're darker than cockerels. Bottoms of feet might help :)

Back
Top Bottom