Two chicks sold as Sapphire Gem females. Barred Rock? Need some help IDing

They are dark! I'd still offer hope that maybe they're SGs but I'm still thinking OEs with that Crest. Trying to find pics of a CL and BCM cross but no luck so far :/
Do you mean Old English?? I always thought they were brown! Looking up now.

No...Olive Egger :) Though I'd expect feathered legs with a BCM x CL cross :/
I certainly see a lot of similar crests on some olive Egger chicks online! I wonder if you’re right! Their coloring has me wondering what indeed was bred.

Well it is very interesting. And based on the other things you’ve been saying and everything I’ve been reading I realized it was the case that Hoover just “throws stuff together” sometimes. I have given up the hope that I’d have the beautiful breed I wanted. Now I’m just hoping for females. It sure would be nice to know the breeds involved just for care. I’m worried they won’t be as heat tolerant as they need to be. Last year in Maryland we had basically 45 days straight of over 90° weather with intense humidity.

Well it is very interesting. And based on the other things you’ve been saying and everything I’ve been reading I realized it was the case that Hoover just “throws stuff together” sometimes. I have given up the hope that I’d have the beautiful breed I wanted. Now I’m just hoping for females. It sure would be nice to know the breeds involved just for care. I’m worried they won’t be as heat tolerant as they need to be. Last year in Maryland we had basically 45 days straight of over 90° weather with intense humidity.
I understand your worries... I'd want to know too. But I think most breeds utilized to make commercial OEs are very heat tolerant and chances are, their final plumage could still be the blue you were hoping for. If not, you can always sell and pick up more chicks or pullets. I have a feeling that by the end of this year, when the quarantine is (hopefully) over, a lot of people will be trying to rehome birds as they get thrown back into their normal, rushed routine. Not everyone... I'm sure this quarantine will create some hard core chicken addicts susceptible to chicken math... but some. So you might be able to find exactly what you wanted for a good price...if not free. For now, enjoy these 2 as much as possible. If they are OEs, then you have something many people...including me...want! 😁 I'm not really into crested birds but a blue OE without a Crest? Swoon. ❤

I understand your worries... I'd want to know too. But I think most breeds utilized to make commercial OEs are very heat tolerant and chances are, their final plumage could still be the blue you were hoping for. If not, you can always sell and pick up more chicks or pullets. I have a feeling that by the end of this year, when the quarantine is (hopefully) over, a lot of people will be trying to rehome birds as they get thrown back into their normal, rushed routine. Not everyone... I'm sure this quarantine will create some hard core chicken addicts susceptible to chicken math... but some. So you might be able to find exactly what you wanted for a good price...if not free. For now, enjoy these 2 as much as possible. If they are OEs, then you have something many people...including me...want! 😁 I'm not really into crested birds but a blue OE without a Crest? Swoon. ❤
I told my husband wellll at least we have something no one else we knew has! Haha. Thanks for ALLLL your help. I’ll let ya know how they *turn out*

Back
Top Bottom