Two Chooks - One Died!! Advice

shirley9937

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
Hi

I had two nearly 1 year old ISA Browns until yesterday. Then one decided to make a break for freedom, literally I didn't see her do it but found her in the garden. I didn't know what she had done, other than she couldn't stand on one of her legs, I even thought that she had a stroke by the way she was laying with one leg and wing funny. I made her comfortabel and she was eating well and was interested when I walked past. and called her name. Unfortunately she had somehow managed to fracture her leg. I read lots of posts and thought about biting the bullet and seeing how she was, but she looked sad and couldn't tell me what was wrong, so I took her to the vet. He was very good and diagnosed a fracture of her leg, he even made me feel it. Unfortunately it was such a high break that he couldn't splint it, and to get any use out of it, would need to pin it and it would cost £hundreds. Much as I loved her, she had only been suffering for a day and I made the decision to have her put to sleep. Only a chicken people say, but even as am typing this I can feel my eyes welling up!! She was soooo lovely and out of the two of them my favourite (ssshhhh don't tell anyone)!!

Anyhoo, I was in two minds as to whether give my other lovely girl to a good home and have done with it. I only have the two chooks in my garden and it is a slight love/hate situation, although I love them more than my other half!! But today I bit the bullet and persuaded moh to get another chook (probably had something to do with my broken leg that made him cave in!!) and we got a speckled hen. Lovely girl and she looks as though she can give as good as she gets!!! Little bit of pecking from my original bird, although a quick squirt with a washing up liquid bottle seems to do the trick!!!

I bravely put them both in the same run ( I only have one!!) even though the lady that I bought her from said that I should get two and separate them for a while!! There wasn't that much of a problem, bit of shouting but that was it.

They are both in bed in the same quarters and all is quiet after a bit of handbag waving but I wonder what I should expect tomorrow?? Have prepared loads of treats for them both to take their minds off the predicament but feel that forewarned is forearmed - or whatever the saying is.

Any ideas much appreciated. And whilst you're there any good chicken names, my girl still doesn't have one. Used to be Gertie and Mabel but Mabel is no more.

Thanks

I'm so sorry that you lost Mabel. I know that was a hard decision for you.
hugs.gif

Maybe you can post some pictures of Gertie and the new chicken.
That might help with a name.
frow.gif

It's now 11.45 here in London and I DARE NOT open the coop to take a picture, the noise they made when they went in, will need to give the neighbours eggs for weeks/years to come!!! Only joking, will take one in the morning when they are more photogenic!!

Well, Gertie is an old-fashioned name, so how about another one to go with it...Pearl would be a nice old-fashioned name for a hen with white speckles.

Or you could go for contrast and call her Goomba. I have no idea where I came up with that, I have never even played video games, but here you go, I googled it after I thought of it, and this is what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goomba . Goombas seem to be brown and white so at least it's the right color for a speckled hen. Sometimes I really wonder how things get into my brain without me noticing...

Sorry to hear about Mabel.

Well guys, if this morning was anything to go by I could of made a huge mistake!!!!

5.30 and the peace of the neighbourhood was shattered when Gertie decided she wanted everyone to know she was awake!! This is the only real bug bear that I have with the chooks - I know that they make a noise, and to be honest it wouldn't really bother me too much, it's just that I don't want to get lynched by the neighbours!!

Any ideas - or am I doomed to getting up early??

It's only the second day. Give it some time.

Animals need time to adjust -- they can't logically or rationally get it all figured out in a day. What seems like no big deal to us may be a big deal to them. You can't expect Gertie to accept a stranger first thing. She's got to get used to the idea and the other chicken.

I would suggest if you can, try to keep them separated with a small movable fence or pen. Let them get used to each other. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom