Two guinea hens with swollen feet - maybe gout?

GoodGuinea

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
They're sisters, about 3 years old. Their eating, drinking, pooping, and other behavior all seem normal. They're walking a little gingerly, but keeping up with the flock fine. I'm not sure how long their feet have been swollen. I have other guinea fowl and chickens, all with normal legs. These two hens are all that remain of a batch of seven keets I bought from a hobby farm. All the other guineas from that batch died young, including one with a deformity that became apparent around the time they left the brooder, and another that seemed healthy but dropped dead at around 1 year old. I always feared maybe there was something wrong with that whole group of them, but I don't know if that's related to the current problem.

Anyway, I haven't tried any treatment, nor have I examined them close up. My guineas are semi-wild and hard to handle. The internet tells me it may be gout, but the information I've found on causes and treatments is confusing.

I've been trying to get a good picture to show you, but they don't let me get close enough. I can try again tomorrow with a better camera.

Could you post some pictures of the feet? Gout can cause swollen toes and feet and may appear lumpy. Mycoplasma synovitis can cause swollen ankles and knee joints. Bumblefoot infections, and other bacterial or viral infections of the joints may also cause swelling.

Thanks. The main swelling is in the pad and all around that main joint, but all their toes and a little bit up their legs are swollen too. I haven't examined them closely to look for wounds.
You're welcome.
Let us know what you find once you do examine their feet?

Could you post some pictures of the feet? Gout can cause swollen toes and feet and may appear lumpy. Mycoplasma synovitis can cause swollen ankles and knee joints. Bumblefoot infections, and other bacterial or viral infections of the joints may also cause swelling.
I tried to get some pictures today, but it didn't work out. I couldn't focus it through the wire when they were inside the run, and I couldn't get close enough for a good pic when I let them out. I'll try again with my good camera tomorrow.

I will if I can. They're so resistant to handling, I'll have to wait until I have help. I've been hoping there was something I could do in the meantime, but that doesn't seem likely.
The easiest ways to catch guineas is with a net, or snag them during night time at roost.
My Guineafowl are pretty wild too.

Okay, I managed to get a few pictures of one of the hens, but they're not great. You may have to zoom in on the feet. If they're not helpful enough, I can try again tomorrow.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom