Two month Chicken Can’t Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pat Mcaffee, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    I would think when she is eating and drinking it probably is not an injury...
    I would start her on the B complex immediately - the sooner the better if that is what is wrong, and it won't harm her at all if it turns out to be something else. I believe you should see some improvement pretty quickly if it is working, a few days would show you. Either way, if she is still not walking in the next few days I would make her a chicken sling/chair as it will keep her up out of her poop and prevent her from hurting herself whilst stumbling around.

If it is Mareks, time will tell you that also. I believe the only sure way to text for Mareks is once they have passed via necropsy.

I hadn't thought of a bone deformity which @Eggcessive posted about, and I am unaware of how you would test her for that so again, I hope others will help you out there.

When you start her on the B complex keep us posted here if you can to let us know how it is going?

sourland likes this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x Eggcessive on the Riboflavin deficiency ... Start the B Complex & give her treats that are high in riboflavin; scrambled or boiled egg yolk, tuna, salmon, beef liver, cherrios ... If you have her with others, keep a close eye she don't get trampled (I had a chick develop CTP at 3wks). IF her toes start curling other than around your fingers, tape them straight with vet wrap (sandwich her toes straight between).

Did notice the dirt bum area in the second pic, you may want to soak in Epsom Salt bath to clean off then blow dry her feathers. How is her poop? That could be the cecal getting caught on her feathers but keep an eye on her poop, pictures would help there.

The chick I treated for CTP/Riboflavin deficiency did recover after 2wks of treatment. He was alot worst, toes curled & couldn't walk, happened overnight but he recovered.

Attached Files:

3. Misfits Farm 92

Misfits Farm 92 Songster

Dec 18, 2018
    I have a chicken only a little older than that one with the same thing. It happened over night but when the chicken, named Sidney, was better it again happened over night he's just now getting better.

4. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    I have a hen that looks to have a Riboflavin deficiency also.
    I started treating her with tablets 2 weeks ago and she is slowly getting better. I reintroduced her to the flock yesterday and she seems to be getting on fine.
    3E771311-2541-4FA4-9090-E6C3D4D91844.jpeg 6039F429-52E4-4189-A7DF-22AD60919563.jpeg

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :thumbsup

6. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    Update:

I have been giving her vitamin b complex pill dust w/ riboflavin and vitamin c for the past two days with yogurt at night and in her water all day. She is standing often now but still falls very frequently. I’m really hoping this is the problem and that I can get it fixed! She is, though, acting maybe a bit weaker personality wise like she’s tired. Any way to combat this?

7. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Standing more often sounds like an improvement ... as for acting tired, I really don't know, perhaps try some electrolytes?? But I really am just guessing here.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she eating well? Can you give her a bit of egg or tuna in the late afternoon after she has eaten her chicken feed?

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

10. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    I will try tuna tonight!

Cragg Klefor likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: