Two month Chicken Can’t Walk

2x Eggcessive on the Riboflavin deficiency ... Start the B Complex & give her treats that are high in riboflavin; scrambled or boiled egg yolk, tuna, salmon, beef liver, cherrios ... If you have her with others, keep a close eye she don't get trampled (I had a chick develop CTP at 3wks). IF her toes start curling other than around your fingers, tape them straight with vet wrap (sandwich her toes straight between).

Did notice the dirt bum area in the second pic, you may want to soak in Epsom Salt bath to clean off then blow dry her feathers. How is her poop? That could be the cecal getting caught on her feathers but keep an eye on her poop, pictures would help there.

The chick I treated for CTP/Riboflavin deficiency did recover after 2wks of treatment. He was alot worst, toes curled & couldn't walk, happened overnight but he recovered.
Her feces has been inconsistent with some solid and some more liquid with a lighter brown color. I will try and upload a photo tonight!

Is she eating well? Can you give her a bit of egg or tuna in the late afternoon after she has eaten her chicken feed?
So she’s eating decent (not the best but she’s still eating) and she got her first round of tuna tonight. I gave her a couple bites forcefully and then left the rest for her to peck st in addition to some layer crumbles. She also got vitamin b complex with riboflavin and vitamin c in her water. Her feces has been pretty solid today. I was testing the whole ‘toes curl around my fingers’ thing today also and it seems that her toes curl around my finger like a perch and her siblings and my other teenage chicks had the same reaction. Can this still be a riboflavin issue?

Did she grow very quickly and suddenly? I had a chick that suddenly one day couldn't walk. Oh, when I asked here on this forum most of the responses was that she had mareks. It's so discouraging to hear that. I got vitamins and threw them in the water (for everyone) and within 5 days the chick was walking again. She is a He, now named Harvey. He simply grew so quickly he wasn't getting the right vitamins. Take heart! Those vitamins may just do the trick for your bird too! :hugs

I am going to attach pictures of her eyes versus her sister’s below. The first picture is her eye and the second is hers.

Attachments

• 2906AA1A-9E92-4E80-99ED-5C6E057014FC.jpeg
    2906AA1A-9E92-4E80-99ED-5C6E057014FC.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C8EB783E-9F7F-47B1-9BC6-E3CD6282840F.jpeg
    C8EB783E-9F7F-47B1-9BC6-E3CD6282840F.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A415ACA7-6E9C-44C8-8871-039C3BD0DD10.jpeg
    A415ACA7-6E9C-44C8-8871-039C3BD0DD10.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 7
  • C0133AA9-05BC-4F90-A89A-FFD91AC33AE8.jpeg
    C0133AA9-05BC-4F90-A89A-FFD91AC33AE8.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 9
Did she grow very quickly and suddenly? I had a chick that suddenly one day couldn't walk. Oh, when I asked here on this forum most of the responses was that she had mareks. It's so discouraging to hear that. I got vitamins and threw them in the water (for everyone) and within 5 days the chick was walking again. She is a He, now named Harvey. He simply grew so quickly he wasn't getting the right vitamins. Take heart! Those vitamins may just do the trick for your bird too! :hugs
Bresses are sometime meat birds so fast growth occurred in all of my chicks, yet she’s the only one struggling to walk. I don’t discount your theory, however. It’s very typical for excessively fast growth to occur in Bresses and for there to be repercussions. For anyone who’s wondering too, I am not raising this trio for meat but more for eggs. They will live with my layer or show flock and live happy, long, lives.

I was testing the whole ‘toes curl around my fingers’ thing today also and it seems that her toes curl around my finger like a perch and her siblings and my other teenage chicks had the same reaction. Can this still be a riboflavin issue?

Yes, it certainly could still be a riboflavin deficiency - keep on with the B complex, and tuna, cooked egg treats.
How is she in comparison to the first post now?
It can take time, and patience. But any slight signs of improvement would be worth noting.

Update:

With vitamin d all week the chick has seen very little improvement and has stopped eating much. Her sister is starting to walk with the same problems and oddly the male is fine.

Back
Top Bottom