Two month Chicken Can’t Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pat Mcaffee, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I am so sorry.
    This eye does not look good.
    I'm afraid you are dealing with Marek's.
    Are you in the US? (Did I miss your location?)
    Screenshot_20190118-070057.png

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  2. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    That photo with her legs splayed certainly does look like Marek's and her sister showing similar symptoms would tie in. Have you changed anything in the past few weeks which would have stressed them.... perhaps moving them out of the brooder and into a coop or integrating them into an older flock. These are things that can trigger an outbreak of Marek's.
    You mention that you are feeding them layer feed but these chicks are just 7-8 weeks old. Unmedicated chick crumbs or grower would be a better option and possibly even just a change of feed could stress their bodies and trigger an outbreak of Marek's.
    Like any virus some individuals will have resistance to it whilst others will get it. Added to that, the herpes virus that causes Marek's is similar to the human Herpes virus that causes cold sores in humans in that it has dormant phases and outbreaks, so you cannot tell which birds have been infected with it until they have an outbreak, so the cockerel may also be infected but it is in the dormant phase. As with humans, what triggers an outbreak in one person may not trigger it in another, so you get one or two birds show symptoms and a few weeks months or even a year later, another bird exhibits symptoms.

I would also encourage you to euthanize and get a necropsy done on this chick with an emphasis on Marek's testing. As someone with Marek's in their flock (4 years down the line) I can sincerely sympathise with the heartbreak that this causes. I just lost a 6 year old bird to it 2 days ago after surviving her first outbreak last year. It is not all doom and gloom though as I have 3 pullets that were broody hatched last year (one by the bird that just died) that have just come into lay 3 weeks ago and so far :fl they are doing well.

3. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
    this so so sad poor baby chicken!! :hugs
    him suffer great deal

4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    I'm so sorry to hear of the decline :hugs
    It certainly sounds and looks like Marek's... however you have no way of knowing for sure without a necropsy. The poor chick:hugs

EggSighted4Life and Texas Kiki like this.
  5. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    So the first female died and I Facebook messaged her the breeder again to find a long list of people complaining about their chicks on Facebook. It’s seems this is a widespread issue in her flock.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, I am sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted if you get a necrospy with Mareks testing. I am sure the owners of the other chickens are very worried.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    I am sorry to hear she passed :hugs

Texas Kiki likes this.
  8. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
    :hugs so sad!

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

If you hatched her at home... the Marek's did NOT come from the breeder... as it isn't passed to eggs.

Sorry for you loss and experience. :( :hugs

Maybe one of your "weaker, vaccinated" birds is carrying it. That's why I won't have vaccinated birds here. I don't wan't a virus having help hiding in my flock. :hmm

For people who gave supplements and saw recovery... that doesn't guarantee your bird was not experiencing Marek's... unfortunately.

Info on how to get a necropsy if you are in the US...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Adding your general location to your profile can help other make the most relevant suggestion possible at a glance.

:fl

rebrascora likes this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is true about Mareks not being transferred through the egg. There could possibly be some transfer of the disease on the egg surface, since hatching eggs are rarely sanitized, but most they may also have contracted the disease in the home environment.

Texas Kiki likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: