two over 5 month old "pullets" acting like roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jyurina, Dec 15, 2012.

1. jyurina

jyurina Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    Hi, new here and haven't had chickens in MANY years. These two are confusing me. They are part of my mixed flock I hatched this summer. All but one of my 6 looked liked pullets-I knew my spunky little bantam roo was one for a long time and the crowing he started months ago conformed it. Well here we are anticipating eggs shortly and these two are starting to get aggressive and making noises that sounds like a chicken with laryngytis trying to crow. Oh and the first one-Sam I am(came from a green egg of course)sprouted three long tail feathers. The other one Chloe is Orphington in part, she is HUGE and becoming a bully. I will work with them if they are going to lay eggs but if they are roos, well they are going to be dinner.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    First two are Sam, second two are Chloe
    Thanks for the help!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I wouldn't count on ever getting any eggs from these "pullets", they're cockerels.

3. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

both cockerels

4. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks, guess we will have some chickens for the freezer:)

5. ChcknGrl

ChcknGrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Those are Cockerels.

6. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    Are they Bantam roosters? If they are they are not supposed to be "eating" chickens.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you can eat any chicken. i have heard silkie meat is really good. though with bantams being so small they may only feed one person lol

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes those are both cockerels

9. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    No-the roo I am keeping is a bantam. He is awesome and also my profile picture. These two are a mix of Orphington, Silkie, and Phoenix. They are extremely large birds-but honestly, I have no interest in keeping aggressive roos as pets. Cluck Norris(the roo I am keeping) is gentle, kid friendly, and a great protector of the hens. So the others will be eaten and I guess I will be finding a couple more hens for the backyard eventually.

10. ChcknGrl

Dec 15, 2012
    true, I guess they eat them in Japan, and Japanese food is great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by