Two questions

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
First question: my sweet pullets like pecking my toes when I don’t wear any shoes, are there hey trying to eat me, or are they attacking me for some reason?

Second question: I have a three and a half months old cockerel who seems to not really grow. What’s wrong with him?
This is him:
image.jpg
him and sisters:
image.jpg

First question: my sweet pullets like pecking my toes when I don’t wear any shoes, are there hey trying to eat me, or are they attacking me for some reason?

Second question: I have a three and a half months old cockerel who seems to not really grow. What’s wrong with him?
This is him:View attachment 3643014 him and sisters:View attachment 3643019
1) I think they just want a snack! Lol
2) he might be stunted in growth, this can be caused from multiple different things. For example he might have just been weaker genetic wise, he could be a failure to thrive, or he might just be slower for whatever reason. It also could have been a trait from a smaller hen or smaller rooster.

My younger chickens in particular will peck at our toes in an exploratory fashion. Unfortunately, my son went through a phase where he applied feed when the chickens pecked at his feet. It stopped the chickens from pecking his feet for a short while. The problem was the chickens learned that pecking feet then got them feed when they wanted it, so they pecked more and sometimes more aggressively. Feed bucket or toe pecking aggression. I had to intervene to suppress relationship by allowing the birds to peck until they figured out the effort is fruitless.

#1>What color are your toes painted? If any? A few of my pullets like red,but not just any red (hot chicken) Believe brand... sold @ DG. Whenever I come out 2 feed them a few peck my toes. that's prolly how they recognize you. I like 2 think of it as affection...Or "hey, here comes the odd fat feet that feed us, hope she's wearing that fancy color again 2day?!! LOL
#2>try giving him grower and some meal worms as a treat.. or vegetable scrapes from kitchen.

He gets lots of veggies. After the flock finish eating, they receive all the vegetable they want, or go outside to hunt greens and insects.
My toes are just natural.
Chickens peck toes, they’re just checking you out. Perfectly normal, my crew does it from time to time.

Either the little guy is a bantam or he’s stunted as mentioned previously.

I would wear shoes. I don’t think they are attacking you, as in aggression. My chickens peck at my boots, but probably in this case because I have seeds or grass stuck to them.
Maybe the cockerel is a bantam. Do you know what breeds they are?

I would wear shoes. I don’t think they are attacking you, as in aggression. My chickens peck at my boots, but probably in this case because I have seeds or grass stuck to them.
Looks to me like a mix or maybe a swedish flower hen

The boy is a speckled Sussex, his sisters are Marans.

#1>What color are your toes painted? If any? A few of my pullets like red,but not just any red (hot chicken) Believe brand... sold @ DG. Whenever I come out 2 feed them a few peck my toes. that's prolly how they recognize you. I like 2 think of it as affection...Or "hey, here comes the odd fat feet that feed us, hope she's wearing that fancy color again 2day?!! LOL
#2>try giving him grower and some meal worms as a treat.. or vegetable scrapes from kitchen.
He gets lots of veggies. After the flock finish eating, they receive all the vegetable they want, or go outside to hunt greens and insects.
My toes are just natural.

Back
Top Bottom