Two sapphire gems making gurgling sounds

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Okay guys I'm back again. Sorry and thank you. My two sapphire gem pullets are maybe two weeks old. They are making a gurgling sound when I hold them close to my ear. I have them on Chickstarter, fresh water, grit. What do you think it could be and what precautionary steps should I take. These two are also the only ones to hop out of my brooder regularly lol. Within a safe space and I have a perch to help them get back in so no worries with that. But I did find a little poop with red. It's the first time I saw it I think it might be blood.
PXL_20220629_174526861.PORTRAIT.jpg

Are these escape artists continuing to act normally?

Did you get these chicks from a private party or the feed store?

The poop appears borderline in the orange bit. It's not exactly the ruby red that blood is, but it's a little redder than the normal pale orange that intestinal lining is.

If the chick that made that poop is very active and normal in every other respect, I would watch them very carefully for the next 24 hours. Watch for any sign of diarrhea and lethargic behavior, perhaps standing still fluffed up. Be ready with the Corid in case you see this.

Are these escape artists continuing to act normally?

Did you get these chicks from a private party or the feed store?

The poop appears borderline in the orange bit. It's not exactly the ruby red that blood is, but it's a little redder than the normal pale orange that intestinal lining is.

If the chick that made that poop is very active and normal in every other respect, I would watch them very carefully for the next 24 hours. Watch for any sign of diarrhea and lethargic behavior, perhaps standing still fluffed up. Be ready with the Corid in case you see this.

Why am I asking you? Because you're very responsive and knowledgeable? Yes I do have corrid. I've never had to administer medication before but I did collect a few popular items to be prepared.
Thank you, but I don't have much experience with illness. I just repeat what I've read what to do. Azygous has provided you with much better info. :]

So this is going to make me sound really stupid. But you guys might be aware that I really struggle with math. I read that I have to treat the whole brooder by putting it in the water for 5 days. It gives me a 1 tbsp/5gallon ratio. But what will be the ratio for a 1.5 quart waterer 😰

Last edited:
@LizGio my teacher/Sargent used to always say that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. You are among fellow poultry keepers, veterans and rookies alike. This is the best place to ask w/o being judged in that way. Glad you're here for the journey.

Back
Top Bottom